[SOLVED] Windows can not be installed on this disk

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2020
Hello all, my m.2 SSD has just come back from repair and I am trying to install windows on it. When I try to it comes up with an error saying “ Windows can not be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting into this disk. Ensure that the disk’s controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu. I have already check in bios and under SATA controller it is enabled, any help? My mother board is Z390 GAMING SLI and SSD is SPECTRIX S40G 1tb. Thanks!

Feb 14, 2020
While being in that window press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.

Type the following and press enter after each command.

Type diskpart.
Type select disk 0.
Type clean.
Type create partition primary.
Type active.
Type format fs=ntfs quick.
Type assign.
Type exit.

Try now.
Says no disk selected please try again

Colif

Win 11 Master
you don't need new, you click next
Says no disk selected please try again
click on the unallocated space and click next and Win 10 should create the partitions it needs and continue install.

Sometimes it helps to create the partitons before hand in Diskpart and then delete them at this stage. Especially on brand new drives

too many helpers here, I will just watch lol

you don't need new, you click next

click on the unallocated space and click next and Win 10 should create the partitions it needs and continue install.

Sometimes it helps to create the partitons before hand in Diskpart and then delete them at this stage. Especially on brand new drives

I think the next button gives OP the error. This is why I'm suggesting he uses Diskpart to do the partition. it should fix the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.