WINDOWS CANNOT BOOT 0xc0000225 the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors

markbeltra

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
I had PC used to work, moved it to another house then it gives me strange error 0xc0000225 the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors. Pain. The OS is Windows 10.

The only buttons I see is esc. I cannto even go to boot menu, I press F8 and Delete, it goes back to same goddamn screen. I took out the CMOS battery for 2 mins and putting back same problem. ANy help?

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Removing the battery on its own isnt enough; the board has capacitors that might hold enough charge to keep the BIOS active for hours.

Look through the manual, or examine the motherboard near the cmos battery; there will be a set of 3 pins, with a shorting pin between two of them (usually), with the PC off at the psu, and the battery removed, swap the pin so the middle and previously untouched pins are shorted.
After a few seconds, return the pin to the original position, replace the cmos battery and switch the psu back on and then boot the PC into the BIOS.
Once in, make sure the HDD with the Win10 install is set as the boot drive.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
The power in the board shouldnt last more than 1/2 hour with the battery removed, so overnight is plenty.

You DID remember to switch the power off at the psu or wall socket; when pushing the case power button and switching off the PC, there is still power going through the boards and USB ports.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

OK, it looks like the issue is on your OS hard drive then, as all the BIOS settings should be back to their "Safe" settings.

The problem now, is that to fix the HDD takes suitable software tools and skills that you dont have, and if you made a mistake, you might destroy any data on the HDD.

Do you have an optical drive on this PC, and access to another PC that you could use to burn a disk??

There are various DOS and Linux tools that might be able to re-write the boot data on the HDD; it really depends if the PC will accept a boot menu command during start up, or has the optical drive set as 1st boot option.

The other option (if you have a spare HDD), is to remove the current HDD, pop in the spare and creat a new Win10 install; then pop the old HDD in on another SATA port and use the new OS to download suitable tools to repair the boot section of the original drive.

markbeltra

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
Should the old and new HDD be in the same system? I tried using another HDD it is showing blank. and that HDD works in another system. Question os why cant I boot to my BIOS? It stopped showing ASUS splash screen.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Unplug the old drive and hopefully, the BIOS will start working. Once you have a working boot HDD, then plug the old drive back in and attempt the repair.

If that doesnt work, and the Optical drive doesnt work, I am out of ideas. The BIOS might be totally screwed.