[SOLVED] Windows "cannot find source files"

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

TL : DR - There is a one line command I need help with; plus to Mount or not to Mount ?

So how do I input that file/location into the command that I need to run in Command Prompt?
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

I've tried inputting what seems logical various ways but it won't work?

SEE MORE INFO BELOW

I've tried talking to the tech support from Microsoft online via live chat and the guy claims that you can't use this command in Win 11. But I suspect he is just guessing cause he can't solve my problem? Does not sound right to me. Why would they remove that option in their newer version?

He said the only option is in-place upgrade? So I try to do an upgrade to Win 11 even though it already is Win 11?

I just need help pointing Windows 11 to the files I already have downloaded (usually Win 10 stuff is pretty much the same for Win 11)?

I've downloaded the ISO from MS, checked the Hash etc - all good.
But I can't quite figure out how to tweak the location in this command?

I'm just trying to repair corrupt files via Cleanup Image etc in Command Prompt(I'm NOT using the ISO to install a fresh copy of Windows)

I'm going for the Mount the ISO option from the harddrive - so from what it says - I assume it must be mounted... but not sure if it's only saying that if it's assuming you are are using it to install a new windows which I'm not?

Here it says to use this command to tell it where to find the iso...

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & - Microsoft Community
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

If you get the error message "cannot find source files"you need to have an ISO file mounted and need to specify where it is located with the below command
The ISO must be exactly the same version as the running OS. An ISO of 10586.0 will not repair a running system of 10586.35 because it has additional updates and files.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter
If you do not have an ISO you can make one. The instructions are here

BTW I installed Win 11 from the official MS USB Boot Drive installer from 1-2 months ago.... I assume that version will work with the ISO I've just downloaded from there now?
Don't know about the versions?

So it says to Mount the ISO - I do that by just right clicking in Win 11... it appears as either just
H:\ or if you click on properties is has the name CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-GB_DV9

Also, this it the actual ISO file location
F:\Win11ISO_EnglishInternational_x64v1.iso

So how do I input that file/location into the command that I need to run in Command Prompt?
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

I hope someone knows what to do as I'm almost there!

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Solution
See the steps here under Repair Windows 11 with DISM using install.wim
Open a new Windows Terminal as Administrator, and run the dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:G:\sources\install.wim command. Replace the drive letter with a proper value, and install.wim with install.esd if your media includes an ESD file instead of WIM.

I don't think you need to worry about indexes?

I do recall having problems with the source command in recent months.

BTW - can you tell me is there much difference between doing this to repair the corrupted files - and doing the in-place upgrade?
Inplace upgrade removes all the Cumulative updates, Repairing files doesn't.

Once...
You just replace X with H

Also in the Install.wim:1 the :1 stands for the first option which is usually the home version which is what most people have, if you have a different version of windows installed you will have to change that 1 to a different number.
To get the versions you need to run this command
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:H:\Sources\install.wim

Also navigate to the mounted iso go into the sources folder and check that the install file is actually .wim, it could also be .esd in which case you would have to change the commands accordingly.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
You just replace X with H

Also in the Install.wim:1 the :1 stands for the first option which is usually the home version which is what most people have, if you have a different version of windows installed you will have to change that 1 to a different number.
To get the versions you need to run this command
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:H:\Sources\install.wim

Also navigate to the mounted iso go into the sources folder and check that the install file is actually .wim, it could also be .esd in which case you would have to change the commands accordingly.

Hello @TerryLaze

I ran the code you gave me and it said there are 11 versions...

I tried changing the number to 6 - for the first plain old Pro listing but that didn't seem to work.
daV1aG2.png (2560×1440) (imgur.com)

I also made sure the file was wim and in the right place and h:\ as you suggested but it still didn't work?
9U87fFD.png (2560×1440) (imgur.com)

I'm only assuming 6 is the right PRO version to choose but I don't know?

How do I check which version of PRO it is? It doesn't say in Settings

I could try randomly attempting using the numbers 6-11 - but i'm worried that might be risky?

BTW - can you tell me is there much difference between doing this to repair the corrupted files - and doing the in-place upgrade?
Ideally I do not want to wipe everything and start with a fresh install where I have to reinstall all my software and do all the settings again etc?

Will they both avoid that - is one option better than the other?

Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help

Colif

Win 11 Master
See the steps here under Repair Windows 11 with DISM using install.wim
Open a new Windows Terminal as Administrator, and run the dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:G:\sources\install.wim command. Replace the drive letter with a proper value, and install.wim with install.esd if your media includes an ESD file instead of WIM.

I don't think you need to worry about indexes?

I do recall having problems with the source command in recent months.

Inplace upgrade removes all the Cumulative updates, Repairing files doesn't.

Once you have run DISM, run SFC /scannow to make sure the system files are also fixed

Last edited:
Solution
I tried changing the number to 6 - for the first plain old Pro listing but that didn't seem to work.
daV1aG2.png (2560×1440) (imgur.com)

I'm only assuming 6 is the right PRO version to choose but I don't know?

How do I check which version of PRO it is? It doesn't say in Settings
If you had a different from the normal version you would probably know it, the N version lacks some media specific stuff and the education and workstation editions are only available to the respective groups.

Giving use the failure code or screenshot would maybe be more helpful.
If it goes through with it but just fails to repair your system then you might just be out of luck and the automated repair just can't fix your issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You would have Windows 11 Pro

Windows N is mostly for EU I think - The "N" editions of Windows 10 include the same functionality as other editions of Windows 10 except for media-related technologies. The N editions don't include Windows Media Player, Skype, or certain preinstalled media apps (Music, Video, Voice Recorder). https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ion-1607-b657cb70-33e7-1f11-7119-3b4b50be4e89

You can only get Windows 11 Educational from Schools, so you should know if you have that.

its not Pro for Workstations, as its the more expensive version. I don't know if you can buy it retail - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/business/windows-11-pro-workstations