Windows cannot open BIOS update file

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hello Zorg
I don't know if you noticed in one of my earlier posts that Intel Tech Support informed me that even though my DG965WH boards have floppy drive connections, the boards DO NOT SUPPORT Bios updates using a floppy. I wish they did......I prefer the ease and safety of using a floppy for bios updates. Despite the problem I've had using their "Express Bios Updates" from within Windows, Tech Support still suggested using that method to update bios on my other two boards. I do not plan on doing that LOL!

For recovery it is just a burn....since the board will try to look for a .bio file if its bios is corrupt. Thats what intel gives out...

Zorg, You don't know how tempted I was to frisbee my P5W DH :)

I will use it some day....

Well looks like you are on the way to having a running system again.....if you try to flash use the CD with the iflash.exe(and freedos[isolinux], ect) on it....the cd will do it for you for the most part....

They told you that you can not recover with a floppy....you can still flash with it :)

I still say a CD is safer since it does not just stop working one day like floppy's can....

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I have actually used boards as a frisbee, it is a liberating feeling.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hi All:
WHOOPEE! I received my replacement motherboard from Intel yesterday and installed it. The pc booted fine and the O.S. is still working! They sent the replacement board with the old bios though! So......I took the "ISO" bios update that nukemaster so helpfully assisted me in making and stuck it in the cd/dvd multi-write drive and booted up the pc to flash the bios. OOPS! The pc booted in DOS but ended with a statement to the effect it didn't recognize my cd drive. After thinking a while, I rebooted and changed the boot order to put an old 20.00 cd-rom drive first in the boot order and moved the ISO cd to that and tried again. The ISO bios update worked flawlessly and the only hitch was when it said to "remove the floppy"??????? So I took out the cd and it went on an flashed the new bios in very short order. Now I'm ready for the Quadcore cpu that FedEx tried to deliver today(Saturday) and I didn't hear them knock on the door so I'll probably install it Monday. Thanks a million to all of you for your input....I couldn't have finished the pc build without it!

newnerd

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hi all:
One last message to let all of you have been so helpful with your advice. I've finished the new pc build and the Q6600 cpu is working great on my DG965WH motherboard! The Ultimate x64 O.S. seems to be very stable....I'm using Intel onboard graphics and audio and unlike my Vista 32-bit on another computer with an Nvidia 7600GT, I'm having no audio/video freezes. I installed a $23 PCIE "add2" card which supports 2 DVI outputs(I'm using just one now). That should be sufficient since I don't do any pc gaming. The graphics driver works very well........great picture on the tv program. My cpu use is only 17-23% even when using the onboard graphics/audio for live tv with a virus scan, and surfing the net. I did have to re-install the O.S. due to Vista's DRM causing the O.S. to not recognize the tv tuner. This time I installed it with all 4 gigabytes of DDR2 800 memory plugged in and no problems. Vista is doing a nice job of spreading the load to all 4 cores...as soon as the first core use starts to rise, the load gets spread to all 4 cores. Kind of fun to watch the process in task manager! Vista x64 sure likes a lot of memory.........it seems to use it all on a regular basis but gives it back when needed for something else. I was worried about using the x64 O.S. but I believe any certified drivers written for 32 bit have to be supplied in 64 bit also for certification for Vista. One funny thing about monitoring the quadcore cpu in Intel's Bios and Desktop Utilities......instead of showing the temperature it it shows the reading as "Thermal margin". Instead of looking for a low number for temperature, I want to see a high number for temperature margin. IE: as the cpu heats up from heavy use the gauge goes down instead of up! The best possible reading would be 80.....big trouble is 20. Most of the time my reading is between 50 & 60...in the middle of the "green zone" on the display. All my fans are controlled by the motherboard except the psu fan and there is little increase in fan speed so I guess I'm not having any overheating problems LOL! Well......thanks again for accompanying me on my qwest for a dream pc!

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

I have a biostar and the feature I like is the bios has the options to flash the bios in the bios options.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Hi newnerd. I have the explanation why you can't update the Bios with a floppy drive like you could in the past. Unfortunately Intel has increased the size of their Bios so that it exceeds that maximum 1.44MB floppy size. The Bios no longer fits in that small size. The largest Bios files are on their vPro boards and they use a 32Mbit Flash part while the media series boards like your Westchester (DG965WH) uses a 8Mbit sized Flash part.

The easiest way that I have found to update an Intel Bios is to either do the following:
1) Burn the Bios .bio file onto a CD and do a Bios Recovery
2) Use a bootable Flash Drive and either do a Bios Recovery or use the iFlash method again using the .bio file

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hi again:
I looked into Biostar, Asus and Gigabyte motherboards for this build and even downloaded the latest drivers in anticipation of buying the latest Gigabyte board with the Intel X38 chipset. After considering for weeks my main uses of that pc and interfacing with the gigabyte website I chickened out due to worries about being able to follow all the support info on the Gigabyte boards. I decided I could understand the Intel support information better and there was a lot more helpful info on Intel's site. I only wish I had read it better and avoided the mistakes you folks have pointed out. (Also, I have a small holding of Intel stock I'm still waiting to rise above my purchase price LOL!)
This new pc is mostly a toy until all the bugs are fixed in Vista. My main pc is in that fancy Antec P182SE case and has 7 hard drives and an E6400 cpu. I use that to feed content to my living room tv thru an Xbox 360. It uses XP MCE2005 O.S. and is VERY stable....can't remember the last time I had any problem with it. New drivers always seem to work, updates don't cause crashes....but soon enough Microsoft won't be supporting XP anymore and then I'll move my new set-up into that case so I can still enjoy many hours a month downloading Vista updates.
bobbknight.....thanks for those support websites. I'll take a look at them.....I sure need to learn a lot and every bit helps!
pausert20.....I'll sure remember your suggestion if I EVER get up the nerve to flash a motherboard bios again! I've put 2 boards out of commission and had to return them so far! I was so embarrassed to return them to Intel when in all likelyhood it could have been avoided if I wasn't so inept!

how can one call windows unstable :)

89 days in a row and counting .....starting to get dusty....

clipboard01md9.gif

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
nukemaster:
I guess this x64 Vista Ultimate is still going to give me problems just like the 32 bit version did! While I've been online this afternoon my MSN internet provider downloaded an unrequested update and I allowed it to install and now I can't get the modem to connect to MSN's servers! One day and the pc is down LOL! I think it somehow buggered up the network/security settings. At least I am able to get online thru my LAN until I figure it out! DARN DARN DARN

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I think Vista just figured it out. I originally installed msn lite from the Vista x64 program file and it was working fine. I just noticed that I now have MSN messenger in the taskbar, which didn't come with MSN lite. Vista just asked me if I wanted to allow MSN messenger access to the network when I attempted to access MSN with my modem. When I ok'd it, MSN dial-up went thru and connected. Now I will disconnect, re-boot and see if the new automatic settings will remain. Evidently MSN messenger becomes part of the MSN program and Vista thought some horrible trojan horse was attacking. Sometimes I think they are trying to so hard to protect the system that it becomes more of a headache than a help!

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
nukemaster commented: "There is no hassle for DSL or cable.....go for it....you know you want to...."
On my computer table I have 3 monitors, 6 speakers, a Comcast Hi-Def cable box, 2 keyboards, 2 mouses, 2 lamps, network switchbox, telephone, 4 storage drawer cases for pc parts, printer and a cold drink! Where in the heck would I put anymore gear! I've got so many wires going here and there I'm afraid to have the carpet cleaners come!