[SOLVED] Windows can't access Toshiba external hard drive

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
So recently I moved from one state to another and after I set up my PC and tried to look at some files I needed from my Toshiba external 3.0 external drive but I can't access this disk. In windows explorer my drive only shows up if I view hidden items. If I double click on it, it tells me to insert a disk. It looks like the partition style is MBR and I don't know why that is.

If I go to disk management then it just shows up as media with 0 bytes of storage and the only thing that I am able to do with it is change the drive letter. I tried to do that, but it doesn't change anything. I also went under Device Manager and tried to update the driver and it said that it was already up to date. I am on Windows 10.

I have tried this drive on my laptop and on two other computers, but the problem persists over all the different computers. I also went into the power options and set the power options for USB and turned it off, but that also didn't change anything. One last thing is that if I try to look for problems on the disk using disk management it tells me that Windows can't access the disk. Please help, these folders are very important and I would like to find a way to recover them.

Solution
Please help, these folders are very important and I would like to find a way to recover them.
Either dead drive or dead enclosure electronics (USB to sata adapter).
What you can do - remove drive from the enclosure and connect it to desktop pc with sata cables.
If after this drive still doesn't show up normally in Disk Management (appropriate drive capacity), then it's dead.

Your remaining options are to contact professional data recovery services.
Please help, these folders are very important and I would like to find a way to recover them.
Either dead drive or dead enclosure electronics (USB to sata adapter).
What you can do - remove drive from the enclosure and connect it to desktop pc with sata cables.
If after this drive still doesn't show up normally in Disk Management (appropriate drive capacity), then it's dead.

Your remaining options are to contact professional data recovery services.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution