Windows cant be installed to drive 0 partition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

endability

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
So i formatted my hard drive (NTFS) from ubuntu cause its just not the operating system for me and it just froze so i had no choice but to press the power button. I thought it worked because the operating system will no longer boot, it says "grub error unknown file system" so i went to install windows 8.and i went through the windows 8 instilation and when i need to select my drive it says "windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. the partition is of an unrecognised type. I dont know if i fucked up my hard drive or what. I just want to install windows 8 and its a laptop so i dont think i can plug in the hard drive to my desktop and format it that way.

Solution
at the screen where it ask you to choose which drive to install Windows on, press Shift+F10 and a DOS window should open

type: diskpart
type: list disk (you should see only Disk0)
type: sel disk 0
type: clean

close the DOS window

click on Refresh, select the disk that is listed, and click Next
at the screen where it ask you to choose which drive to install Windows on, press Shift+F10 and a DOS window should open

type: diskpart
type: list disk (you should see only Disk0)
type: sel disk 0
type: clean

close the DOS window

click on Refresh, select the disk that is listed, and click Next

Solution

endability

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Ok ill try that now ill let you know if it works

endability

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Thanks so much man i wouldn't have figured that out on my own its installing now.

NZ

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

NZ

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
I had a similar issue with RAID setup on my PC with an M4A79 DELUXE motherboard. It took me a few hours and I finally got it working with a big "DOH". I don't know how I missed it in the Beta, but the problem exists there too. Here's how I got around it.

- Start Windows setup
- When you get to the page to select a drive/partition to install you will need to load the Raid drivers
- Insert your Driver disc for your motherboard
- Click Load Driver
- Find the correct driver on the disc and select this
- Click Next
- You should now see a list of available drives, but the error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk (Show details)"
- Re-insert the Windows 7 DVD back into the drive
- The is the critical part...... Click Refresh

After clicking Refresh, the error should be gone and you should now be able to install on one of your partitions. At least that's how I got it working. It took me about two dozen attempts to figure this out.

I would submit this as a bug but I'm not quite sure how to do that at the moment.

koolfaze01

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Emerald... God bless you! You just solved an issue for me. You are good, man. I literally kissed your name on my computer when it worked. I can't say how much i really appreciate this. Keep it up bro. God bless you real good

3ngineer

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

THANKS A MILLION :)

Aug 21, 2014

Been trying to do this for 3 days, and searched all over. You're the first person who laid it step by step and told me exactly what to do. I thought my gaming PC was screwed, and that I'd have to buy a new drive. I'm pretty sure I lost all my data but I can always re-download the games, since Steam saves progress. Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.