[SOLVED] Windows can't boot on 120Hz

May 26, 2022
I bought an Asus XG27AQ monitor, after returning an MSI Mag274 (which worked fine on 120Hz, but panel defects).

I set it to 120Hz and had no issues. Used my PC for a while, then shut down. Now I can't boot it - I see the BIOS screen, then Windows loading, then it goes black. With grey flashes every 2 seconds, then my PC reboots. This grey flashing (monitor turning on/off) lasts about 10 seconds before the reboot.

Eventually I see the Recovery screen with options, saying Windows couldn't boot. Safe mode works fine. But to boot full Windows, I have to unplug the HDMI cable, then plug back in after booting! Then I can use 120Hz again.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Clearly 120Hz is not the issue, as it works everywhere BUT the moment Windows finishes booting. That's the only point where it's an issue. I have the Asus display drivers, and I've tried changing cables.

Solution
Problem solved... It was my GPU I think. I unplugged my second + third monitors, now it boots fine. I won't need them much anyway, I'll wait until I can upgrade the GPU :)
May 26, 2022
Problem solved... It was my GPU I think. I unplugged my second + third monitors, now it boots fine. I won't need them much anyway, I'll wait until I can upgrade the GPU :)

Solution