Question Windows can't detect all RAM

Jun 11, 2020
Hi all,

I recently bought a set of Corsair Vengeance LP CML8GX3M2A1600C9 to add to my alreadt existing set of Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 for a total of 16GB of RAM.
Both sets are 2x(4GB) DDR3 with a clockspeed of 1600Mhz.

When I check my system information i see that Windows can only detect 12GB of RAM.
pnC1KHDTj

When I check Task manager source control I see that slot 1 is empty.
pmWdFthyp

When I run HWinfo I see that my motherboard is currently running in Triple channel BUT it can detect all 4 sticks.
pmHXLVZdp

When I check system information I see that windows detects only 12GB of fysical RAM, but it does add up the 16GB of the sticks to the 4GB of Vram from my GPU for a total of 20GB of Virtual memory.
YeR9oT.png

My specs are:
CPU: Intel I7-3820
GPU: GTX 680 Classified 4GB Vram
Motherboard: Rampage IV Formula (has the latest BIOS version of 5001)
PSU: Antec 900W

I also tried both sets seperately in dual channel and then Windows and HWinfo detects them as 8GB, so the sticks are not defect.
And I also tried the 4 sticks in all possible configurations.

Who can help me so Windows detects all 4 sticks?

PS. I'm dutch, which is also the language you see in the images. But I think most of you will be able to understand the relevant data of the images.
If any more information is needed feel free to ask.

Jun 11, 2020
did you test 2 stick on all 4 slot?

I just tried, and I have found that when I runs dual channel (1-3) Window and HWinfo can detect the 8GB fine.
But when i run dual channel (2-4) Windows can only detect 4GB but HWinfo detects 8GB. Also at (2-4) dual channel Windows detected 4GB of phsyical RAM but 13GB of Vram was available.

pmbPOHd5p

Now I placed all 4 sticks back and HWinfo detects quad channel but Windows can still only detect 12GB.

poyVzdCdp

Jun 11, 2020
Ok so I just tried 2 and 4 single channel and the PC did't boot when on single channel 4. So it would seem slot 4 is faulty.

But what I don't understand is how HWinfo can still detect the RAM in slot 4 when run in dual channel and quad channel.

Jun 11, 2020
Little update,

I just ran Memtest and it can detect all 4 sticks but it shows only 12GB of physical RAM is used.

po46F34Gp

poQac9ygp

Windows still detects only 12GB and HWinfo still detects 16GB Quad channel...

Jun 11, 2020
I just did a CPU reseat and cleaned the socket with compressed air. As far as I could tell there were no bent or misaligned pins.
Unfortunately the reseat didn't show any improvements.