Windows can't download onto disk

watswong

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Hey,
I tried to download Windows 7 64-bit onto a Western Digital Blue Caviar 500GB HDD but Windows keeps telling me, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."
I heard from another thread that your SATA mode needs to be in AHCI mode, which I tried but Windows still won't install.
Suggestions please? Thanks

Specs (If it helps):
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
CPU: Intel Pentium
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)
HDD: Western Digital Blue Caviar 500GB
Graphics: Asus HD 7750

Solution

RAID is basicly when you have more than one hard drive, then you can RAID them. This means that the hard drive make copies of data on each one of them, so if one of the hard drive crashes, you won't lose data. So basicly you...
Hrm... Well what does the BIOS show about it? Is this a new drive or used? It sounds like it is detecting the drive was used in RAID / the mobo is responding back it is in RAID and W7 (which is really weird) doesn't know how to talk to it? No extra CDs came with the drive or special instructions? I would probably suggest RMA it otherwise it sounds like the drive is defective

watswong

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah, it's a new hard drive. I'm actually building my first computer. No CDs came with the HDD. What does RMA and RAID mean?

Zmokamok

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

RAID is basicly when you have more than one hard drive, then you can RAID them. This means that the hard drive make copies of data on each one of them, so if one of the hard drive crashes, you won't lose data. So basicly you have more than one hard disk, but it shows as one.
And the chance of both hard drives fails at once, is very odd.

Solution
Also in RAID 0 your just combining drives into one group drive (say two 500GB into 1TB before 1TBs were made). Though you may have just a single drive, if RAID is enabled in BIOS it will address the drive in RAID and Windows (when trying to install) will be looking for RAID drivers to help 'talk' to the drive before installing.

RMA, is a return to manufacturer authorization you get when you tell whomever you bought this from (Amazon, etc.) that it is defective.

watswong

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Yes, I did that. But what do I need to change in the BIOS particularly?

Go into the Drives area. See if it is set to AHCI or RAID. I can't direct you as each BIOS for each system can be different and is certainly different by the maker and forget about Intel vs AMD. Just look through the BIOS, might help to have the MOBO manual to help walk you through BIOS if it is too confusing.

watswong

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Well there is no "Drives area." The only place I can change stuff into AHCI mode is in the SATA Configuration area. And there's also no RAID mode option.

TRENDING THREADS