Windows can't find wireless access points automatically

Hi, I have a Linksys 802.11b card (about 4 yrs old). It works fine for my
home office that I share w/ my wife. However, when I go to an Internet cafe
I can never seem to get online quickly.

Other people have told me that Windows automatically detects a wireless
network. When I looked in the Help system, it says I should go to Network
Connections and right-click on Wireless Network Connection. However, there
is no wireless connection icon in my Network Connections profile.

Is it b/c I'm using an outdated driver? My driver version is 1.07.29a from
Nov 26, 2001. When I tried to install a Linksys driver on the Windows Update
site, my machine crashed. Any ideas? I have WinXP.

--
remove "smooth" from my yahoo.com address.

Yes, your driver is outdated and not cooperating with XP.
The Linksys support is the address.
--PA