Question Windows can't see drives after changing SATA ports ?

Vertimyst

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Hey all,

Having the most annoying issue. I picked up a new 2TB NVME drive today to add to my system. My motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix B450-F) disables SATA6G_5 and SATA6G_6 when the M1.2_1 slot is in use, which is where my HDD is connected, and I have another 1TB M.2 in the other slot. So, I need to move my 6TB HDD to a different slot. No problem, right? But when I do, even though it shows up in the BIOS, Windows can't see it. It doesn't show up at all in Disk Management, but it's listed under 'Other Devices' in Device Manager. If I move it back to the original port, it works fine (if I don't have the new nvme drive installed). Linux can also see and access it with no issue.

I tried moving my 2.5" SSDs and HDD to different SATA ports and also swapped the cables around in case that was the issue, but after doing that Windows refuses to boot entirely, saying it can't find the boot device. Putting the cables back in the original spots works fine. Is it just not possible with Windows to change SATA ports or what?

I should mention I'm running Windows 11 22H2.

Vertimyst

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
chipset driver up to date?

Apparently I never actually installed them (manually). Just did that with no difference.

New development though. I tried plugging in a USB thumbdrive to make a Windows installer and see if it can see my drive at all - and Windows didn't even recognize that. It shows in Device Manager as 'driver unavailable'. You'd think this was Windows XP, haha.

So I check Windows Update and sure enough, the last update has failed to install for the last month. So I'm guessing WU is broken and isn't able to install the drivers it needs for the relocated drive (or anything else, apparently). Getting error '0x800706be'.

Is it just not possible with Windows to change SATA ports or what?
List model names of all your storage devices.

Show screenshots:
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
BIOS - sata drives,​
BIOS - nvme drives,​
Disk Management,​
Device Manager - disk drives and storage controllers expanded,​
Windows Storage spaces (Control Panel\Storage Spaces).​
photo of your system - motherboard section, where you have connected sata drives.​

TRENDING THREADS