[SOLVED] Windows can't update since a couple months ago, says disk is not designed for UEFI firmware. Can this be solved?

Jul 30, 2020
The (translated) error message is: "Windows cannot be installed because your PC has a drive design which is not compatible with the UEFI firmware"

I have tried a lot of things I researched including using the diskpart tool in the cmd yet nothing seems to help. The other day a notification said that service for my version of windows had ended; it asked me to restart, which I did, and yet apparently the update has not been installed.

I suspect this is also affecting my laptop's battery life. Battery is draining absurdly fast at like 1% per minute and in the task manager the dominant process was a Windows one (as I'm writing this it does not show). I replaced my battery in late 2019 so this is really weird, I had good battery life and updates had occurred normally since I got the laptop at the beginning of 2018.

I am on windows x64 and have a boot ssd and side hdd.

I don't know if any help is possible without more info but please do let me know if I can do anything to make the process of solving this easier.

Thanks!

Solution
Make and model of your laptop? Check to see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing and if you have BIOS versions pending update. As for your OS, you're advised to backup all critical content from your laptop['s drive, in case they get erased due to a mishap, recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, then reinstall the OS, after probably breaking all partitions to rectify the issue that I assume is due to an improper file structure.

Considering you're on an SSD, you shouldn't have any issue with the reinstall, just make sure that the HDD is disconnected from the laptop prior to reinstalling the OS. Once OS is installed, manually install any and/or all drivers for the laptop then connect the HDD...

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your laptop? Check to see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing and if you have BIOS versions pending update. As for your OS, you're advised to backup all critical content from your laptop['s drive, in case they get erased due to a mishap, recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, then reinstall the OS, after probably breaking all partitions to rectify the issue that I assume is due to an improper file structure.

Considering you're on an SSD, you shouldn't have any issue with the reinstall, just make sure that the HDD is disconnected from the laptop prior to reinstalling the OS. Once OS is installed, manually install any and/or all drivers for the laptop then connect the HDD to laptop. A note, download the drivers for you laptop onto a pen drive and then install drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution
Jul 30, 2020

Considering you're on an SSD, you shouldn't have any issue with the reinstall, just make sure that the HDD is disconnected from the laptop prior to reinstalling the OS. Once OS is installed, manually install any and/or all drivers for the laptop then connect the HDD to laptop. A note, download the drivers for you laptop onto a pen drive and then install drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Hey, sorry for the late reply, I forgot I had made this thread. Thank you for your advice, currently I really can't reinstall windows because of studies but I will consider doing it later.