[SOLVED] Windows changes keyboard layout by itself.

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, i have a new computer (it also did happen with the previous) and i also have a new keyboard (i doubt it's the issue). But sometimes, when i am playing games (or when i spin my pen and it falls onto the keyboard) and the keyboard's changed to the english layout. I dont have the english language pack installed, i only have the spanish language installed so it cannot be the problem. What could this be? Am i pressing a shortcut that changes the language? Maybe someone gained access to my computer remotely? I dont think it's the last one because i did run wireshark for a while and i didn't see any sketchy things, i also did run malwarebytes scans and nothing either.

Solution
Hotkeys to change language layout in windows 10 are either "Windows"+"Spacebar" or "Alt"+"Shift" (both combination work) and as you already suspect, it is most likely the reason why the keyboard layout changes while you're playing games.
It happens to me more often than I would like to admit.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you use the same user account on both new and old PC? Is it a Microsoft account?
I asked as the only way the same thing can happen on 2 PC is if you use same user account and it has Account sync turned on. Since sync is on by default, its why I asked.

Look on Settings/Accounts/Sync settings. It might have been a setting on old pc thats been copied across. Try turning it off and see if it fixes problem from happening again.

if its the case, it could happen after a login, or at random. I swapped from 1080p to 4k screen, but settings had a 1080p desktop image saved for PC so on logon it would swap to it and it looked on an the 4k screen. I turned sync off and it stopped happening.

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Do you use the same user account on both new and old PC? Is it a Microsoft account?
I asked as the only way the same thing can happen on 2 PC is if you use same user account and it has Account sync turned on. Since sync is on by default, its why I asked.

Look on Settings/Accounts/Sync settings. It might have been a setting on old pc thats been copied across. Try turning it off and see if it fixes problem from happening again.

if its the case, it could happen after a login, or at random. I swapped from 1080p to 4k screen, but settings had a 1080p desktop image saved for PC so on logon it would swap to it and it looked on an the 4k screen. I turned sync off and it stopped happening.
No it's not because of that, i am not even logged in to my microsoft account

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Hotkeys to change language layout in windows 10 are either "Windows"+"Spacebar" or "Alt"+"Shift" (both combination work) and as you already suspect, it is most likely the reason why the keyboard layout changes while you're playing games.

Reactions: Colif
Solution

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Thank you, i have been looking for these combinations for so long and i couldn't find them.