Windows clean install with 3ssds

hyzzle

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
So, I have been having weird problems with windows like start button not working, only boots into windows without going to uefi about 30% and my hyper v virtual network adapter it's taking over my connections. So it's been a while since I've done a clean install (and multiple hardware updates) and instead of having Microsoft tell me that's what they recommend I'm just gonna do it, but i have 3 SSDs a 960gb, a 1TB, and a 240GB, how do i get them in 1 logical drive versus 3 separate when i clean install?

Solution

A clean reinstall of the OS does dictate reinstall of the applications.
No way around that.

What I do is multiple drive images.

Day 1 - The bare OS and whatever OS updates exist
Day 2 - OS and my basic load of applications.
Day 3-XXX - Full and Incremental images, as outlined above.

USAFRet

Titan

"1 logical drive" ??
Do not do this.

Install the OS on one of the drives, and then reconnect the others and use them as secondary drives.

At most, you could use Storage Spaces in Windows after you get it installed, but that is also pretty useless. (IMHO)

hyzzle

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
What's wrong with that? I have an SAN 6TB that i keep backups on, it just never works out when i have my OS one a separate install, like driver updates, it always becomes a mess unless there's something that i am just grossly overlooking.

USAFRet

Titan

Having the Windows OS on a single drive is the default and 99% worldwide concept. That's the way it is designed to work.
And having one or more secondary drives is also quite common. My system has 5 drives. Discreet drives, all with their own drive letter.

A logical drive merging 3 physical SSDs for the OS? Why?
What do you hope to gain from that?

hyzzle

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
To enable my laziness lol, i just don't see the point in having a dedicated drive for the OS, if you have to clean etc all the links to the programs are broke so you basically are having reinstall all those too, i could see the advantage when ssds were crazy expensive and you would combine the ssd and a mechanical drive. Never really dove into the why of it though. So if i put my OS on a 240GB what would be the best way to put the other 2 into 1 logical (just helps me keep order amongst all the drives)

USAFRet

Titan

You install the OS and all your applications on one drive.
You have the other drives for all your 'data'.

For instance, my system, 5 drives:
500GB SSD - OS and all applications
250GB SSD - photo work
250GB SSD - 3D/video/CAD work
960 GB SSD - games, and all the other stuff that does not fit in 1-3
120GB SSD - scratch and cache space for photo/video/CAD applications. And temp storage area for stuff that will soon be moved to the 10TB NAS.

Applications, and Windows, can be set to default save and manipulate data on other drive letters.

hyzzle

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Ah ok That's kind of what I was talking about with my OS and programs on one "drive" (i have a lot of programs) and then all other data/ files put across the others. So in essence i could:
C:\ os and programs
D:\data files, vm labs
E:\scratch pad for A/V editing
Correct?

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly.
In fact, my several VM's are on both the 960GB SSD and in the NAS box.
Steam games also exist on multiple physical drives. Seamlessly.

The applications do not care, as long as you tell them properly.

hyzzle

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I started using paragon hard disk manager just do a full when first installed now just incremental to the nas, i guess that's gonna be the plan then, unless there is a way to reinstall Windows without having to do all my programs as well...

USAFRet

Titan

A clean reinstall of the OS does dictate reinstall of the applications.
No way around that.

What I do is multiple drive images.

Day 1 - The bare OS and whatever OS updates exist
Day 2 - OS and my basic load of applications.
Day 3-XXX - Full and Incremental images, as outlined above.

Solution