Question Windows clean reinstall, black screen after connecting ethernet cable

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
One of my desktops has started giving me “black Screen problems”.

Win 10
Intel i5-2500k
Biostar th+ MB https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/eol/introduction.php?S_ID=528
Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ (PC3 12800)
The WIFI card has “Wi-Fi doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error and no solution worked for it ( ipconfig release etc., resetting the card etc. etc. Rosewill RNX-N300X IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 (PCI Interface) Wireless Adapter (2T3R) Up to 300Mbps)
Both WIFI and ethernet worked earlier. And when WIFI card stopped working, I just used LAN as it was right there.

However, I got black screen.

I have clean reinstalled Windows 10 (Clean/GP via diskpart during windows installation, without internet). However, when I connect ethernet, the screen goes black after few seconds. And at reboot, I get the black screen again.

I have tried again clean reinstall couple of times ( individually on a SSD and HD), but the problem persists (black screen after few seconds of connecting ethernet cable). Once I remove the ethernet cable, I still get black screen.

After another couple of fresh installs, as long as I don’t connect to LAN, it reboots up fine.

I am running out of ideas. Perhaps the MB or LAN controller is going bad. Any recommendations for a new MB (for internet, MS office etc.)

Thanks

Honestly, it sounds like the onboard graphics of that chip is where you are having problems. typically on a new win install the first thing windows does is to start installing drivers which will cause a brief black screen and everything is all normal. But in your case the screen stays black, since you've done multiple windows installs I would lean toward it being more of a hardware issue. that's a tough one from here

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Honestly, it sounds like the onboard graphics of that chip is where you are having problems. typically on a new win install the first thing windows does is to start installing drivers which will cause a brief black screen and everything is all normal. But in your case the screen stays black, since you've done multiple windows installs I would lean toward it being more of a hardware issue. that's a tough one from here

You may be right and the MB might have lived its useful life. This was a backup desktop anyway.

I disabled onboard LAN and PCI Bridge in Bios. And disabled "simple pci communications controller" in Device Manager (it had yellow exclamation). Then tried USB to WIFI and USB to Ethernet adaptors and both work. However it got black screen while browsing internet.

However, everything works in safe mode with network.

I cannot use MS office in Safe Mode. Is there a work around? In System Configuration, "MS office click to run" is stopped and it has Selective Startups with "both Load system services" and "Load Startup items" checked and "use original boot configuration" check and grayed.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS