[SOLVED] Windows connects, but Apple products do not.

Sep 10, 2019
Living in the sticks with an ISP that has been confronted with their first true competition ever. Until Sep. 1, we had no wireless connection problems for a 2016 Windows laptop, 2 Apple Iphone 8 devices, and an Ipad Air and Air 2. Download speed was 25 Mpbs; we don't game or stream, Starting Sep.1, only the Windows laptop can connect. The ISP stated they have doubled our speed to 50Mpbs, and the current modem/router can handle the speed, but they're claiming the AGE of the Apples may be causing their connection issue, which makes minimal sense. I've forgotten the network, cleared the cache and added Open DNS to no avail. So, we went from all devices connecting at a slower speed to one device connecting at a faster speed. Any ideas? FWIW, DSLreports gives us a 'D' or 'F' for bufferbloat'.

Solution
could be nat64/dns64 incompatibility or missing ipv6 dns
check u have ipv6 enabled, apple works only with ipv6 adresses (since 2016)

in your router check your DNS settings
if ipv6 isnt filled, u can use google opendns
ip: 2001:4860:4860::6464
Makes no sense whatsoever. ISP doesn't, CAN'T discriminate PC/Apple devices. So all of these are WIFI connected then? everybody used to work just fine and all of a sudden you say... and that's after they upgraded you to 50 you say... was the WIFI base station box (router) changed out? Your WIFI devices will connect to the WIFI router even if Internet is down. I suspect you maybe have more than 1 WIFI station without you knowing based on symptoms.

Sep 10, 2019
Makes no sense whatsoever. ISP doesn't, CAN'T discriminate PC/Apple devices. So all of these are WIFI connected then? everybody used to work just fine and all of a sudden you say... and that's after they upgraded you to 50 you say... was the WIFI base station box (router) changed out? Your WIFI devices will connect to the WIFI router even if Internet is down. I suspect you maybe have more than 1 WIFI station without you knowing based on symptoms.

Exactly. Makes no sense. We have the same modem/router(combo). No device connects directly to the modem, so all devices are wireless. The Windows laptop has flawless internet service, but none of the Apples do. They just hang/freeze on a webpage. Let me add this: we've had this ISP for 4 years now, and as you say, we've had connection, but a down internet, at least once a month. Message is DNS server has timed out.

OK this is very simple. You ask PC/Apple devices what are their IP configurations, and they should be identical, that is:

IP: On the same SUBNET, I hope u know your IP.
DHCP/Dynamic: Enabled.
DNS: IP of the Router box.
GATEWAY: IP of the Router box.

Those are the parameters to tell the box "how do I get out the Internet and who's going to do my name resolutions."

Next thing you should know how to use PING.

Sep 10, 2019
Yes, all three are identical across all devices , and Dynamic is enabled. Ping to laptop = 4/4 packets=0ms. Ping to iPad =4/4 packets=76ms avg. Ping to router=4/4 packets=1ms avg.

could be nat64/dns64 incompatibility or missing ipv6 dns
check u have ipv6 enabled, apple works only with ipv6 adresses (since 2016)

in your router check your DNS settings
if ipv6 isnt filled, u can use google opendns
ip: 2001:4860:4860::6464

Solution
Sep 10, 2019
ipv6 has always been enabled, but the address shows as the four-dot symbol(all zeros). The local ipv6 address, however, is filled properly. The DHCP server settings was not enabled, which I did, but no change in access. Again, never had this issue with multiple devices til the speed was upgraded. ISP has offered a replacement modem, so I'll see what that does. They're panicking with this imminent arrival of competition, so it seems they're tinkering with everything possible because it's not just me. I'm privy to hundreds of their customers, who've had the same issues. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Sep 10, 2019
I did, but it reverted back to the symbol. I added two addresses via the override, and website homepages load, but clicking an article hangs 50% of the time. I'll see what a new modem will do. Thanks for the help.

Sep 10, 2019
Well, a new modem has solved it. It is a dual band, while the original was not. As it was explained , the older laptop connected because it could at 2.4 Mhz. The newer Apples could not because there was no 5 Mhz. Is it now Apple policy via the iOS updates that it's a 5Mhz connection or nothing? Is it an ISP sales tactic to increase the speed while limiting device access(thus signing up for a higher speed that does allow multiple device access)? Is that even possible from a tech standpoint because I see a total of 253 addresses(hence devices) available on the admin page for just one modem?

TRENDING THREADS