Windows constantly getting corrupted on my SSD

Dylen

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
Hello, everyone.. I have had an ongoing problem that I thought I had solved, but I am at a point of desperation and I have come to the community for help on this one.

I am running Windows 8.1 on my AMD Radeon R7 Series 480GB SSD which I got in November.
Since I have switched to this SSD, I have done a clean install of Windows 8, 10 tech preview, and even windows 7 Ultimate, and have still ended up having the same problem 1-2 months into my clean reformat. I bought windows 8.1 pro and I thought it fixed the problem because I was previously using unactivated OS from friend's ISO disks. My computer works perfectly fine for about 1-2 months until I turn it on and I get a black screen telling me to insert a boot drive upon startup.

Today it happened for the 5th time. I have no idea what triggers it, but this time I left my computer on after playing a couple games of League of Legends, and took a 1 hour nap. I awoke to see the "insert boot drive press any key blah blah" screen... I think I may have a failing SSD. I manually power off my PC and it hangs at the blue windows 8.1 logo with spinning balls. Somehow my windows files keep corrupting OUT OF NOWHERE and it is getting quite frustrating. However, I did rearrange my boot priorities in my bios, and I got it to start the automatic repair this time, with windows 8.1. I also have made a repair USB disk which also gets me to the windows automatic repair tool, but I seem to be getting stuck at the "Diagnosing your PC" screen (which I have left running for a couple hours prior to this post). I can also boot straight to the SSD and it will just leave me at the blue windows 8.1 logo with the spinning circles. Also, booting from the Windows 8.1 disk leaves me hanging during automatic troubleshooting.

I think that it might have something to due with automatic updates as well because last night one installed, and another one was to be installed upon shut down before I had went AFK.

My questions:
1) Do I have a failing SSD, or can it be something else? (I have already got a new motherboard thinking that was the problem)

2) Is there something I can do to fix my PC without reformatting? It's kind of a pain re installing Office 2013, all my games, software, drivers ETC...

3) If it is my SSD, is it too late to RMA it to the manufacturer?

4) If I purchase a new smaller SSD (50-120GB) and installed windows to that, can I access files on the existing SSD and/or use it as a storage device?

I will be able to provide more info if anyone needs it to help me.

My specs are:
AMD fx-8350
MSi 970 Gaming Mobo
Raidmax 630 Watt PSU
GTX 770 GPU
OCZ 480 GB SSD
Team Vulcan 16 GB ddr3 ram

Thanks in advance!

Cooling:
Corsair h100i
Corsair Air 540 case with stock fans

Solution
I'm having the same problem with the 120GB R7 SSD. Data corruption on both Windows clean install and Ubuntu (not dual booting). AMD A88X chipset with APU. It's random and the drive checks out as 99% healthy. I purchased this in November and did the firmware update and that's when the problems started happening.

The issue is that files become corrupt and the OS can't load or there's an issue after the os boots. During installation, the system will become corrupt. Or the OS will load, but then on first boot, it will become corrupt. Anyway you look at it, the SSD corrupts the file system and it will fail, eventually, in a relatively short amount of time.

Reformatted multiple times, used the SSD tools to check, trim, wipeout the SSD. No...

Dylen

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

I cannot really do that at this point, because I am unable to boot windows.

Dylen

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

Only other computer I have is my MacBook, and I do not have an external connector.
Yes. I can load the bios regardless of the SSD being connected.

OK then the problem is your SSD and/or Windows. If you can't use another PC to test the SSD then buy a new SSD eg http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct512mx100ssd1%2Csamsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam%2Csandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdxps480gg25/

Dylen

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

I think I might just get a 120GB samsung EVO tomorrow.

Do you think I would fix my problem if I use the new one for my OS and other files like Office.. and my 480GB for games?

Dylen

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

I don't think it has died.. I have reformatted windows on it multiple times.. It works but my windows files somehow get corrupt after 1-2 months

roblopes

Reputable
May 17, 2015
I'm having the same problem with the 120GB R7 SSD. Data corruption on both Windows clean install and Ubuntu (not dual booting). AMD A88X chipset with APU. It's random and the drive checks out as 99% healthy. I purchased this in November and did the firmware update and that's when the problems started happening.

The issue is that files become corrupt and the OS can't load or there's an issue after the os boots. During installation, the system will become corrupt. Or the OS will load, but then on first boot, it will become corrupt. Anyway you look at it, the SSD corrupts the file system and it will fail, eventually, in a relatively short amount of time.

Reformatted multiple times, used the SSD tools to check, trim, wipeout the SSD. No luck. I just had it happen again today on a fresh install of Ubuntu 15.04. Windows 8, Windows 8.1 Ubuntu 14.04.... It doesn't matter, the file system becomes corrupt.

Solution

Dylen

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

Please let me know if you find a solution to this.
Thanks for the explanation.

roblopes

Reputable
May 17, 2015

Turned out to be a bad stick of memory. The entire year I ran this system, it never once complained about anything memory related. Windows 8.1 disk corruption to no end, but turning off the power management on both the xhci usb controller in Device Manager, masked the problem. I let Microsoft upgrade to Windows 10 and no real issues. Then came Windows 10 Threshold 2 1511 and everything went to hell again. I spent a day trying to figure out the issue. NOT ONE SINGLE ERROR pointed to memory. For giggles, I decided to run Windows Memory Diagnostics and instantly Windows Detected an Error. Process of elimination by taking 2 of the 4 sticks out and rotating the ram modules out, I found the problem (re-running the memory diagnostics each time).

The Windows 10 1511 upgrade issues and trying to re-install from scratch:
The disk had a 16MB partition that I couldn't get rid of. I had to use Ubuntu and Gparted to get rid of the partitions.
When installing from DVD or USB, I wasn't able to get past 45% without some fatal disk error.
When I did finally get lucky and got the install to work, I couldn't Windows update, StoreComponent Corruption run DISM or SFC without failing.
AMD Catalyst would always fail
Drivers didn't solve any issues.

After pulling the bad module out, I had to remove the partitions again with Ubuntu GParted (anyone can use the Ubuntu Live CD to accomplish the same thing if need be). I ran the Windows 10 installer and had ZERO issues all the way through AND then the upgrade to Windows 10 1511.

The memory module is being replaced under a lifetime warranty. Running the system with 4GB is smooth and responsive.

RUN the Windows Memory Diagnostics. I was fortunately unfortunate the memory failed right when the test started.

Hope this helps.

Admin529-ERPro-8

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

Admin529-ERPro-8

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Just an fyi on SSD's the Samsung IMO only made one very nice drive that would be their Gen1 EVO 840, I have had nothing but problems with the 850 I picked up in error. Also another issue that could be causing your problems, I just stumbled across this surfing the other day, it is a little progy called GWX if you or anyone for that matter havent heard Micro$haft is force pushing Windows 10 onto every machine out there that is compatible, and 2 any machine that is out their running windows 8.1 or 7.xx any qualifying release of either. but in the meantime what is happening is that MS is slowly sneeking in updates till they get your system to the point of no return then slam you with a licensed buggy copy of Windows 10. However there is a pretty good little tool I just discovered like I mentioned called GWX just google it, what it is designed to do is block any and all temptations of any hint of windows 10 crap being pushed onto your win 7 /8 machine preparing you for a win 10 slam. I just installed it today and it cleans up reg bugs and any software that may be needed to let 10 fly in, cuz once it is in there is no going back from what I here especially on the OEM machines where the Product Key is embedded in the mainboard ie: S.L.I.C. codes.

hope this helps