Question Windows corrupt and USB media won't load

triman247

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
About a month ago, I built a Ryzen 5 2600 on top of a Taichi X470 motherboard with a completely clean install of windows and everything has been working great until today (Corsair 16gb 3200 RAM and a 1060 GPU).

These are the changes I made to my PC today before getting issues:
Installed Division 2 and played maybe 1-2 hours without issue
Installed 3 LED fans that are not connected to the motherboard, just running via molex power
Installed a new 3tb seagate HDD for expanded storage. Was able to initialize the HDD without issue but hadn't tried moving files over yet.

After my computer was on for a couple hours I sat back down and the mouse and keyboard were not working. I did a hard shutdown with the power button on my case. This was probably the first clean shutdown since installing and initiating the HDD.

First issue (maybe resolved?) - when I went back to boot up I started getting motherboard Dr. Debug errors - pretty sure 54 was one of them. I also had E8 and maybe 15. Per the instructions on my Taichi guidebook, I tried re-seating the RAM, but I did not attempt to re-seat the CPU. I also pushed the button to clear the CMOS as instructed. At this point the computer booted and I started getting Second issue.

Second issue - When I booted past the Dr. Debug errors I got a black screen that just says "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum." After doing some research I got to a point where I was thinking this is a Windows 10 startup file issue. So I downloaded the USB version of the windows recovery tool and put it on a clean USB and now I'm stuck on the Third issue. Is there another approach to resolving this issue I might have missed besides going to USB recovery media?

Third issue - when I go into BIOS to set the USB (windows recovery) as first boot priority, Windows loads into a screen that just says Windows needs to be repaired.
"Recovery
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired"

I've gotten several errors each time I've tried this but one of them is error code: 0xc0000098.

What's weird is that booting off of the USB it's not even giving me an option to enter recovery mode or initiate start-up repair and this is a completely new USB file I created directly from the Windows 10 media creation tool today. Truth be told I'm not even sure this error is coming from the USB it might be going to second boot priority which is my normal windows install SSD.

So at this point I'm thinking software issue but I guess can't rule out any of the potential hardware issues experienced earlier. Does anyone have an idea of how I should proceed? Try to create a new Windows recovery USB? Anything I can do to trick my computer into launching into recovery mode from the existing apparently corrupt version of Windows (See issue 2)

Additional random info:
I can see in BIOS that the system is recognizing all 16gb of RAM from when I re-seated everything so I feel like that worked?
Should I be trying anything else in the BIOS? I did update the BIOS when I first got the motherboard but have never seen issues.

About a month ago, I built a Ryzen 5 2600 on top of a Taichi X470 motherboard with a completely clean install of windows and everything has been working great until today (Corsair 16gb 3200 RAM and a 1060 GPU).

These are the changes I made to my PC today before getting issues:
Installed Division 2 and played maybe 1-2 hours without issue
Installed 3 LED fans that are not connected to the motherboard, just running via molex power
Installed a new 3tb seagate HDD for expanded storage. Was able to initialize the HDD without issue but hadn't tried moving files over yet.

After my computer was on for a couple hours I sat back down and the mouse and keyboard were not working. I did a hard shutdown with the power button on my case. This was probably the first clean shutdown since installing and initiating the HDD.

First issue (maybe resolved?) - when I went back to boot up I started getting motherboard Dr. Debug errors - pretty sure 54 was one of them. I also had E8 and maybe 15. Per the instructions on my Taichi guidebook, I tried re-seating the RAM, but I did not attempt to re-seat the CPU. I also pushed the button to clear the CMOS as instructed. At this point the computer booted and I started getting Second issue.

Second issue - When I booted past the Dr. Debug errors I got a black screen that just says "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum." After doing some research I got to a point where I was thinking this is a Windows 10 startup file issue. So I downloaded the USB version of the windows recovery tool and put it on a clean USB and now I'm stuck on the Third issue. Is there another approach to resolving this issue I might have missed besides going to USB recovery media?

Third issue - when I go into BIOS to set the USB (windows recovery) as first boot priority, Windows loads into a screen that just says Windows needs to be repaired.
"Recovery
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired"

I've gotten several errors each time I've tried this but one of them is error code: 0xc0000098.

What's weird is that booting off of the USB it's not even giving me an option to enter recovery mode or initiate start-up repair and this is a completely new USB file I created directly from the Windows 10 media creation tool today. Truth be told I'm not even sure this error is coming from the USB it might be going to second boot priority which is my normal windows install SSD.

So at this point I'm thinking software issue but I guess can't rule out any of the potential hardware issues experienced earlier. Does anyone have an idea of how I should proceed? Try to create a new Windows recovery USB? Anything I can do to trick my computer into launching into recovery mode from the existing apparently corrupt version of Windows (See issue 2)

Additional random info:
I can see in BIOS that the system is recognizing all 16gb of RAM from when I re-seated everything so I feel like that worked?
Should I be trying anything else in the BIOS? I did update the BIOS when I first got the motherboard but have never seen issues.
DONT CREATE A RECOVERY USB... At this stage in time your pc..... Stupidedid it'self. When you added the second drive you didnt move anything over but windows was "adding" to it... When you initialize a drive to your pc it "auto" reserves space for future pc updates, share "reserved space to tell it what it's job is", and just general data.... It had a hicup initializing and basically consumed your data and will just need to reinstall win 10