[SOLVED] Windows corrupt? can't access start, search or windows defender

Jul 9, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently got a m2 SSD (new SSD) which I'm using on a z87-a mobo through a nvme adapter. I did a fresh install of windows on the m2 ssd and it had to be done through UEFI bios. My old ssd also has a windows installation using the old bios.

Something has gone wrong as when I try to use windows on my old ssd, I'm running into problems. Right now, I can't access the start button, search or windows defender. When I try to open windows services, it says that the administrator has blocked access to the app. I have to open or run everything through command prompt. Any idea what's going on?

I've tried doing administrator access fixes, sfc scan fixes, but nothing helps. One thing to note is, I did log-in to the new windows using the same windows live account I had on the old windows. Could this have cause windows to apply the windows key to my new ssd and caused problems on my old windows?

Hi everyone,

I recently got a m2 SSD (new SSD) which I'm using on a z87-a mobo through a nvme adapter. I did a fresh install of windows on the m2 ssd and it had to be done through UEFI bios. My old ssd also has a windows installation using the old bios.

Something has gone wrong as when I try to use windows on my old ssd, I'm running into problems. Right now, I can't access the start button, search or windows defender. When I try to open windows services, it says that the administrator has blocked access to the app. I have to open or run everything through command prompt. Any idea what's going on?

I've tried doing administrator access fixes, sfc scan fixes, but nothing helps. One thing to note is, I did log-in to the new windows using the same windows live account I had on the old windows. Could this have cause windows to apply the windows key to my new ssd and caused problems on my old windows?
Run cmd as admin and type sfc /scannow

I mentioned in my post that I've done that and it didn't help. I even tried the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
It should't have locked access to anything however windows has so many bugs... This is all in the same system right i disnt misread that part? The only thing you have done is added a m.2 via adapter and installed windows on it. Then after words you could no longer acces the ornignal ssd? That sounds windows is registering the system as a whole new build not just a add peace for some reason and locked the opd like you had said you can still access the files and folders through the new ssd

Jul 9, 2020
It should't have locked access to anything however windows has so many bugs... This is all in the same system right i disnt misread that part? The only thing you have done is added a m.2 via adapter and installed windows on it. Then after words you could no longer acces the ornignal ssd? That sounds windows is registering the system as a whole new build not just a add peace for some reason and locked the opd like you had said you can still access the files and folders through the new ssd

No, sorry, I wasn't clear I guess.

I have windows on the old ssd and a new install of windows on the new ssd. So technically, I have 2 ssds each with a windows installation. I'm wondering if having both drives plugged in is messing with Windows because it has to designate whichever windows I open as C:\\?

Jul 9, 2020
Disconnect all disk drives apart from the one you want Windows on and do a clean install from a usb. Once Windows is installed connect your additional drives

Ya, I think I may just need to not use my old ssd, but I have a lot of items I need to be able too access/ use while I set up my new ssd which is why I have both of them plugged in.

Jul 9, 2020
Probably better to spend your time setting up the new installation of Windows then troubleshooting the old one

Yup, it's basically what I've been doing. Trying my best not to log-in to the old drive unless it is absolutely needed. I just use command prompt to get around things I can't do.

Appreciate your help!

TRENDING THREADS