Windows could not complete the installation (Can't Shift+f10)

xPenguinzx

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Little back story. Recently i upgrade my system to the Ryzen with a new mobo, I also decided to update my windows OS from 7 to 10 (My Windows 7 wasn't exactly acquired through legitimate means so I couldn't just upgrade it through the windows installer). I have a small SSD (30GB) that I intended to be for Windows 10, I wiped it after backing-up some Appdata from Windows 7 onto another much larger SSD. During the setup it said that they recommend at least having 33GB for Windows 10 but I said whatever and started the installation; when it didn't work the first time I formatted the small SSD and the large SSD so I can put 10 on the large one. Still didn't work, and here I am.

Based on my research when this error comes up i'm supposed to hit Shift+f10 to open up command prompt, but it doesn't seem to be working for my system.

When I hit shift+f10 nothing happens, after a couple of seconds the back lit keys on my keyboard fade as if it turned off, but my mouse stays lit up so I assume it's operational. I tried another keyboard, different USB ports, swapping the exact port my mouse and keyboard are in and the results stay the same. When I click on the screen with my mouse (even though there is no cursor) the error box flickers in that windows popup way but I can't move it around and find the cursor.

So finally my questions. Is there another way to open up command prompt? Anyone experienced this?

Things I've tried:
1. Installing on either SSD
2. Switching to Raid sata
3. Removing any peripherals connected (including mouse and keyboard)
4. Wiping the OS off my USB and re-downloading it on there from another computer.
5. Pressing Shift + f10 on another keyboard
6. Connecting keyboard in different USB ports
7. Manually partitioning drives in windows installer
8. Tried "repairing my computer" through windows installer

I haven't looked into resetting CMOS yet but it's on the table i suppose.

xPenguinzx

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Bought Windows 10 from an online store with my college, loaded it on a USB. Small SSD is 30GB and it shows up on my drive list so I assume everything is fine with that but I have no OS so there really is no way for me to check. The large SSD is 100GB, if i try to reinstall the OS it'll list my drives and it will say that there is ~90GB free space on that drive so windows is there, but not all of it?

USAFRet

Titan
Disconnect the 30GB drive.
That is too small
Have only the other SSD connected.

Boot from your Win 10 install thing.
When it asks where, select Custom
You will be presented with a list of all existing partitions
Select each one, Delete
Leaving one large empty space
Let Windows install to that, creating what it needs.

xPenguinzx

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Tried it, no change.

USAFRet

Titan

So what happens, exactly, when you boot from this Win 10 USB?

xPenguinzx

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Tried it, no change.[/quotemsg]

So what happens, exactly, when you boot from this Win 10 USB?[/quotemsg]

When I boot from the USB it prompts me with the standard windows 10 installation. I choose a drive to install it on, it goes through the steps (copying files, installing, finishing up, etc). When I try booting from the drive that i installed it on, it gives me the error message.

Come to think of it, do I need internet for the installation? I'm on wifi and I didn't have the drivers installed because it's a plug and play system.

xPenguinzx

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

The one in the title "Windows could not complete the installation, restart the installation to complete" (or something to that effect)

So does that mean I don't need internet for the installation?

xPenguinzx

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Makes sense, any more ideas? I'm going to work now but I'll check in 5 hours when im back home.