"Windows couldn't sign you in" Is this a common error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogzx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
So I just booted up my laptop for the first time today, running the latest version of W10, and got this message:
"We can't sign into your account. This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. If you don't sign out now, any files you create or change you make will be lost."

Everything aside from a few applications was gone, my wallpaper was the default, so I did what it told me to do and signed out. Signed back in and everything was alright. Just what happened here? This has never happened to me before, so I don't know if it's a common issue or if it's some virus or something that caused it. I did force a shutdown last night after accidentally turning the laptop back on and I thought that could be it, but doing it again doesn't yield any results so i'm inclined to believe that wasn't it

Solution
Sounds to me like your profile (local user account) was corrupted, which could have been caused by the power cycle your mentioned. Trying to duplicate the symptom (unable to log in) is essentially impossible and not necessary. Windows detected a minor inconsistency and provided you with the fix, a win win (pardon the pun) for you.

You should not see the symptom again. But as always, the best advice to you and everyone is Back up and Back up again. Never know when disaster will strike and a backup is easy.
Hi,

You profile is corrupted and you need to recreate another one.

(I assume you have tried a startup repair and such)

1- try to boot in safe mode to see if you can create one from there.
2- boot with the installation disk to see if you can repair / create a user from there
3- create a user from command line

t53186

Distinguished
Sounds to me like your profile (local user account) was corrupted, which could have been caused by the power cycle your mentioned. Trying to duplicate the symptom (unable to log in) is essentially impossible and not necessary. Windows detected a minor inconsistency and provided you with the fix, a win win (pardon the pun) for you.

You should not see the symptom again. But as always, the best advice to you and everyone is Back up and Back up again. Never know when disaster will strike and a backup is easy.

Solution

t53186

Distinguished
Original post "Everything aside from a few applications was gone, my wallpaper was the default, so I did what it told me to do and signed out. Signed back in and everything was alright." looks like problem solved just looking for a why?

Status
Not open for further replies.