[SOLVED] Windows crashed completely (Blue Screen, had to re-install it) after installing more RAM. What do to?

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Hi.
I have a B450 Aorus with a Ryzen 5 1600af, and 2x 8g Sticks of DDR4 S Kill, 3200 RAM.

I wanted to install an extra 2 sticks to bring up the total to 32g of RAM, but when I did, upon startup, the Windows startup completely crapped out, went to the Blue Screen of Death, and continued to restart. It restarted about 7 times, through the same cycle, until it prompted me to the Windows Boot menu, but it couldn't do a recovery, so I had to redownload Windows on a USB thumb drive, and reinstall windows.
I took the RAM sticks out before re installing windows, and now it's working fine, just like before. But what happened? What did I do wrong? Is there something I can do to make this work?
I did read my Motherboard's manual, and it does say it supports 32gs of RAM, and of that kind.
The extra ram I got was the EXACT same as before, so there shouldn't have been any issues with compatability.

Your help is appreciated.

-Ron

Solution
Whoah, that's a whole lot of information that's going to take me about 3 hours to google, to figure what you just said.
Thanks though.
The PSU is a EVGA 80+ Bronze.
I'm running a RX 570.
The sticks are rated for 3200 CL16.

Update: I gave up on trying to figure it out.
I tried resetting to bios, almost as if I was starting the build from scratch, and that didn't do anything either. So, I guess I'll keep in mind, for my next build, to get all the ram at once, so they're from the same kit.

Thanks everyone.

-Ron
I was saying you will have to manually set your 4x8GB modules to 2933 or 3000 at CL14, because the system can't handle 3200 at CL16 in 4x8GB configuration without tweaking a whole bunch of timing settings. The Ryzen 5...
You did not get the EXACT same ram.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

You can send the ram back and buy a matched kit of supported 32gb.

One possibility is to go into the bios with two good sticks installed and increase the ram voltage a bit higher.
Then try the added ram.
Sometimes that will work.

Reactions: MeanMachine41

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Remove the new RAMs. Reset your BIOS with just the original 2 RAMs.

For extra protection, make sure before adding RAM sticks, reset BIOS and make sure the RAMs are defaulted back to factory speed.

Imagine a car's engine with 2 different sets of piston and displacement = mayhem and chaos.

EDIT: ASSUMING you got the same EXACT RAM. If not, try geofelt's suggestion.

Aug 27, 2020
Ron
What I would/did do.

Take out 2 sticks that work. Put in new suspect sticks reboot.

I had a stick that was bad and it caused havoc! Open VLC with a high def movie with Chrome open BAM! freeze or BSD. I put up with that for a year until ram came down and then as you did bought identical ram.
You won't know what's what until you test those new sticks.

So if the computer likes those sticks leave then where they are and add the old ones and reboot.

Also some MB require sticks in special order. Look it up for your board!

Best of luck

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
You did not get the EXACT same ram.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

You can send the ram back and buy a matched kit of supported 32gb.

One possibility is to go into the bios with two good sticks installed and increase the ram voltage a bit higher.
Then try the added ram.
Sometimes that will work.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "did not get the exact" same ram. It's literally the same purchase I made before, just "reordered" more of the same. All 4 sticks are identical in every single number on them. I think I understand what you're implying but if that's the case, then how is anybody able to upgrade their ram if all ram is incompatible, according to what you're saying.

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Ron
What I would/did do.

Take out 2 sticks that work. Put in new suspect sticks reboot.

I had a stick that was bad and it caused havoc! Open VLC with a high def movie with Chrome open BAM! freeze or BSD. I put up with that for a year until ram came down and then as you did bought identical ram.
You won't know what's what until you test those new sticks.

So if the computer likes those sticks leave then where they are and add the old ones and reboot.

Also some MB require sticks in special order. Look it up for your board!

Best of luck

I did that, Computer started up just like if it had the old sticks. So, the new sticks are perfectly fine.

So I'm not sure what it might be.

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Remove the new RAMs. Reset your BIOS with just the original 2 RAMs.

For extra protection, make sure before adding RAM sticks, reset BIOS and make sure the RAMs are defaulted back to factory speed.

Imagine a car's engine with 2 different sets of piston and displacement = mayhem and chaos.

EDIT: ASSUMING you got the same EXACT RAM. If not, try geofelt's suggestion.

I went in the BIOS with both sets (new pair and old pair), and both of them read EXACTLY the same, with the same voltages and all.

Reactions: starngerdanger

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
UPDATE:
I swapped sticks all over the place. Both old ones for both news ones, and back. Up and down, left and right. After reverting back to the old sticks, and reinstalling Windows, I thought I'd try installing the new sticks again, to see if it would boot up Windows....and it DID.....until it crapped out before I had a chance to log in. Doing the exact same thing, Blue screen of death, etc etc.

So, I know the sticks are not defective. And I know it's not a compatibility issue.
The issue is when the computer tries to boot with all 4 sticks, together.
Maybe something to do with power consumption. Maybe the new sticks are too much for the motherboard and PSU to take?

I'm using a 450w box. My total usage was 309 w before these new sticks.
I'm still kinda stumped on the whole thing though.

-Ron

Endre

Reputable
UPDATE:
I swapped sticks all over the place. Both old ones for both news ones, and back. Up and down, left and right. After reverting back to the old sticks, and reinstalling Windows, I thought I'd try installing the new sticks again, to see if it would boot up Windows....and it DID.....until it crapped out before I had a chance to log in. Doing the exact same thing, Blue screen of death, etc etc.

So, I know the sticks are not defective. And I know it's not a compatibility issue.
Maybe something to do with power consumption. Maybe the new sticks are too much for the motherboard and PSU to take?

-Ron

Hello!
There are two issues here:
  1. The PSU being 450W it’s not enough. I’d buy a 650W - 750W to be sure.
  2. The memory DIMMs that you have, not being a kit of 4 DIMMs, might not work together, especially when XMP is being enabled, and especially on an AMD platform.
SOLUTIONS:
  1. Load the BIOS optimal defaults, and use RAM at default speed (no XMP), or:
  2. Sell all of your DIMMs and buy a kit of 4.

UPDATE:

-Ron
You are running a CPU that is based on Ryzen 2000 Zen+ CPU cores. The best speed you can reasonably hope for with 4x8GB is 2933 or 3000MT/s at CL14. You will have difficulty getting 3200MT/s to work without tweaking the timings, which could take awhile. The difference in actual daily use between 3000 and 3200 is nothing to worry about. 3000 at CL14 can even be slightly faster if your modules are rated for 3200 CL16, because it's running in a dual rank configuration with four modules.

Also, although 309watt is not great for a 450watt PSU, it's still "reasonable" and you probably don't need to replace it unless it's a terrible quality PSU. You are likely running an RX 580 which is better suited to a 500-550watt PSU.

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
You are running a CPU that is based on Ryzen 2000 Zen+ CPU cores. The best speed you can reasonably hope for with 4x8GB is 2933 or 3000MT/s at CL14. You will have difficulty getting 3200MT/s to work without tweaking the timings, which could take awhile. The difference in actual daily use between 3000 and 3200 is nothing to worry about. 3000 at CL14 can even be slightly faster if your modules are rated for 3200 CL16, because it's running in a dual rank configuration with four modules.

Also, although 309watt is not great for a 450watt PSU, it's still "reasonable" and you probably don't need to replace it unless it's a terrible quality PSU. You are likely running an RX 580 which is better suited to a 500-550watt PSU.

Whoah, that's a whole lot of information that's going to take me about 3 hours to google, to figure what you just said.
Thanks though.
I'm running a RX 570.

I tried resetting to bios, almost as if I was starting the build from scratch, and that didn't do anything either. So, I guess I'll keep in mind, for my next build, to get all the ram at once, so they're from the same kit.

Thanks everyone.

-Ron

Thanks though.
I'm running a RX 570.

Thanks everyone.

-Ron
I was saying you will have to manually set your 4x8GB modules to 2933 or 3000 at CL14, because the system can't handle 3200 at CL16 in 4x8GB configuration without tweaking a whole bunch of timing settings. The Ryzen 5 1600 AF is based on the Ryzen 5 2600 and the 2600 officially only supports up to 2933 memory speed and everything beyond that is considered an overclock.

The settings to change the memory speed on your motherboard are in the overclocking menu called M.I.T in the bios menu. All you need to change in the M.I.T menu are the memory speed to 2933 or 3000, cas latency to 14 (CL14) and voltage to 1.35v. You can leave the rest on automatic for now to just make sure it even works.

Reactions: starngerdanger
Solution

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
I was saying you will have to manually set your 4x8GB modules to 2933 or 3000 at CL14, because the system can't handle 3200 at CL16 in 4x8GB configuration without tweaking a whole bunch of timing settings. The Ryzen 5 1600 AF is based on the Ryzen 5 2600 and the 2600 officially only supports up to 2933 memory speed and everything beyond that is considered an overclock.

The settings to change the memory speed on your motherboard are in the overclocking menu called M.I.T in the bios menu. All you need to change in the M.I.T menu are the memory speed to 2933 or 3000, cas latency to 14 (CL14) and voltage to 1.35v. You can leave the rest on automatic for now to just make sure it even works.
ahh, I get it.
I'll try that out. Thanks.

Aug 27, 2020
Ubuntu or Windows have nothing to do here. We are talking about the Bios which Comes into play long before any operating system

Well and just like that I'm out of my depth! Lol
It's great that we have access to experts with such wide experiences here.
Hopefully someone will have the correct answer for Ron.
RF

Sep 2, 2020
Hi, I've been having a similar issue since I bought two 8 GB sticks sniper x 3000Mhz. I've had suffered numerous BSOD whenever I attempt to use the memory in dual channel, or also if I even try to use the X.M.P profile. In order to avoid that I have my Ram in single channel slots running at 2144Mhz. I have the same board, a Ryzen 5 2600 and RX590. I've been looking for a solution for a year now and all the forums and info I've found always points out that this motherboard sucks when it comes to Ram. I support that theory since a friend of mine decided to change from Gygabite to an Asus motherboard, and so far he has not suffered any BSOD related to ram. I'm not giving up, I'll keep looking for a solution on this matter and see how far I can get till I've saved enough to change motherboard.

Endre

Reputable
Hi, I've been having a similar issue since I bought two 8 GB sticks sniper x 3000Mhz. I've had suffered numerous BSOD whenever I attempt to use the memory in dual channel, or also if I even try to use the X.M.P profile. In order to avoid that I have my Ram in single channel slots running at 2144Mhz. I have the same board, a Ryzen 5 2600 and RX590. I've been looking for a solution for a year now and all the forums and info I've found always points out that this motherboard sucks when it comes to Ram. I support that theory since a friend of mine decided to change from Gygabite to an Asus motherboard, and so far he has not suffered any BSOD related to ram. I'm not giving up, I'll keep looking for a solution on this matter and see how far I can get till I've saved enough to change motherboard.

I think that in your case, the RAM is the problem.
I never heard of Sniper memory.
I doubt that you’d have the same issues with a legit brand RAM kit.