Windows Crashes after 100% Disk Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2018
Hello,

I've recently built a new computer and currently I have a problem which drives me crazy.

When I am playing World of Warcraft, after a while, I observe my disk usage goes 100% then my computer crashes and I get blue screen with "Unexpected_Storage_Exception".

When I reset after the crash, I directly see the BIOS settings and the crucial thing is, I don't see my SSD in the boot options list. In order to resolve this problem, I tried couple things as follows.
Disabled "Windows Search", "Superfetch", "Windows Tips and Tricks"
Installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology with power mode disabled (This manages AHCI settings)
Set my computer performance to High Performance mode
Set RAM paging to between 1x8GB - 2x8GB
Installed MSI Afterburner to run my fans in full speed in order to understand if it's a heating problem (During the crashes, CPU was at 68C)
Used Crystal disk to diagnose my SSD (It's 100% healthy according to it)
Checked if my drivers up-to-date (Yes, they are)
Installed Windows one more time("Upgrade installation, I will do a fresh one after work")
Removed anti-virus
Applied a stress test with AIDA64. After 2 mins, my CPU went up to 90C so I've stopped the test. That could also be a problem, but crash happens around 65C, so I think it's not my current problem.
Applied a stress test for SSD, which made it work on 100% (As I observed from monitoring) but it didn't crashed

From my diagnoses, I assume that at some point my SSD stops responding randomly(Sometimes I played like 5 hours without any reset). I assume it stops responding, because after reset I don't see my SSD on the boot options. But after couple minutes, it starts working again.

In order to reproduce the issue, I play WoW meanwhile I am downloading another content online. After like 15 minutes, usually when I enter a dungeon instance(which forces game to load new staff from disk) it crashes.

My hardware;

Gigabyte H370 Aorus Gaming 3 WiFi Motherboard
Asus GTX 1080 GPU
Intel Core i7-8700K Processor 3.2 GHz Coffee Lake
Intel SSD 512GB

I can provide more info about my hardware when I get back.

My question is, should I replace my SSD? Could it be a SSD issue? I suspect from my SSD since it boots from BIOS after reset and I don't see it as a boot option.

Thanks for reading this :)

PS: I use windows 10 pro with legitimate license

Solution
windows 10 uses in memory compression, sometimes older drivers or malware will tweak the memory and corrupt the compressed driver files in memory.

you should also specify the version and firmware version of your ssd and indicated how much free space is on the SSD. the firmware can get behind on its internal clean up routines and cause delays in response of the drive. if it the delay becomes more than 30 seconds you will get a bugcheck (not the one you indicated though)

generally, you will want to update the BIOS, update the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website, do not run any overclock, make sure memtest86 works as expected (no errors). do a malwarebytes scan, and run cmd.exe as an admin and run
dism.exe...
windows 10 uses in memory compression, sometimes older drivers or malware will tweak the memory and corrupt the compressed driver files in memory.

you should also specify the version and firmware version of your ssd and indicated how much free space is on the SSD. the firmware can get behind on its internal clean up routines and cause delays in response of the drive. if it the delay becomes more than 30 seconds you will get a bugcheck (not the one you indicated though)

generally, you will want to update the BIOS, update the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website, do not run any overclock, make sure memtest86 works as expected (no errors). do a malwarebytes scan, and run cmd.exe as an admin and run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

this command can fix corrupted windows files.

after this if you still get problems you would change the memory dump type to kernel and produce a memory dump that can be looked at with the windows debugger.

Solution

Latency7

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
Hello,

I've recently built a new computer and currently I have a problem which drives me crazy.

When I am playing World of Warcraft, after a while, I observe my disk usage goes 100% then my computer crashes and I get blue screen with "Unexpected_Storage_Exception".

When I reset after the crash, I directly see the BIOS settings and the crucial thing is, I don't see my SSD in the boot options list. In order to resolve this problem, I tried couple things as follows.
Disabled "Windows Search", "Superfetch", "Windows Tips and Tricks"
Installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology with power mode disabled (This manages AHCI settings)
Set my computer performance to High Performance mode
Set RAM paging to between 1x8GB - 2x8GB
Installed MSI Afterburner to run my fans in full speed in order to understand if it's a heating problem (During the crashes, CPU was at 68C)
Used Crystal disk to diagnose my SSD (It's 100% healthy according to it)
Checked if my drivers up-to-date (Yes, they are)
Installed Windows one more time("Upgrade installation, I will do a fresh one after work")
Removed anti-virus
Applied a stress test with AIDA64. After 2 mins, my CPU went up to 90C so I've stopped the test. That could also be a problem, but crash happens around 65C, so I think it's not my current problem.
Applied a stress test for SSD, which made it work on 100% (As I observed from monitoring) but it didn't crashed

From my diagnoses, I assume that at some point my SSD stops responding randomly(Sometimes I played like 5 hours without any reset). I assume it stops responding, because after reset I don't see my SSD on the boot options. But after couple minutes, it starts working again.

In order to reproduce the issue, I play WoW meanwhile I am downloading another content online. After like 15 minutes, usually when I enter a dungeon instance(which forces game to load new staff from disk) it crashes.

My hardware;

Gigabyte H370 Aorus Gaming 3 WiFi Motherboard
Asus GTX 1080 GPU
Intel Core i7-8700K Processor 3.2 GHz Coffee Lake
Intel SSD 512GB

I can provide more info about my hardware when I get back.

My question is, should I replace my SSD? Could it be a SSD issue? I suspect from my SSD since it boots from BIOS after reset and I don't see it as a boot option.

Thanks for reading this :)

PS: I use windows 10 pro with legitimate license
Hello,

I have been wondering what fixed your problem. I almost have a similar problem as you. My disk usage also randomly hits and stays at 100% usage then crashes. I would hope you would share what your fix was. I also tried the same things you did though to no avail. Any help will do thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hello,

I have been wondering what fixed your problem. I almost have a similar problem as you. My disk usage also randomly hits and stays at 100% usage then crashes. I would hope you would share what your fix was. I also tried the same things you did though to no avail. Any help will do thanks!
if you have a similar problem I would start a new thread with the specs of your PC as the person you answering hasn't been here for 3 years and won't see this reply as we have swapped forum software since this post was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.