[SOLVED] Windows crashes after upgrading to Asus Tuf RTX 3080

yashumehta

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Hello everyone,
I could not find any thread related to 3080, so i had to create aa new thread.

1) --So, i upgraded to RTX 3080 from RTX 2060, it keeps crashing windows 10. I reloaded the OS 4-5 times as it corrupts boot files after 4-5 crashes and i have to reload the OS.
I avoided installing Asus utility software. I changed the flow of software installations as i thought it crashes after the nvidia driver installation (not right away, not all time in beginning, but once i start to install office, steam or any games, it would randomly crash, eventually it wont even boot properly and crash as soon as i see my windows home screen or as soon as i click on something to do ).
i checked the temp of cpu, HHD, SSD and GPU . everything is in range. Cpu max 55-58, GPU max 50 (It does not get hotter to kick the gpu fans in). I updated the bios as well. tried on default bios settings as well as Asus ez oc. I am not sure what could be wrong. This time i have not installed nvidia drivers yet, installed steam , rockstar game launcher, office and other softwares, it seems to be working fine. my 2060 was running on the same latest nvidia drivers. it was running fine with 2060. I was clocking 4.2 Ghz on my Ryzen with 2060 without any issues. I tried running it on stock at 3.9Ghz with 3080, still crashes. I believe nvidia drivers are causing this. any solution ?

2) This Asus 3080 is huge and pretty heavy. It has a noticeable sag while mounted on mobo horizontally. Is it normal ? will it create any issues in future ?

Ryzen R7 3800X 3.9 GHZ
16 GB G Skill Flare x
Asus TUF gaming RTX 3080
M2 512 Gb
M2 512 Gb
SSD 1 TB
SSD 1 TB
HHD 1 TB
Corsair RM850
Corsair AIO 240 mm
Phanteks P600S
3 intake 140mm Front
AIO on top
1 140 exhaust in back

TIA.
Yash

Solution
i have to reload the OS
what exactly do you mean?
are you wiping the OS drive and performing a fresh install or just using Refresh or Reset options?

if a fresh install;
are you using the same install media with each new OS install?
many times it points to corrupt installation data.
maybe try creating a new install package with the Media Creation Tool.

if using the built-in Refresh\Reset options;
try a drive wipe and fresh OS install:
upgraded to RTX 3080 from RTX 2060, it keeps crashing windows 10

the fact that you are not experiencing any issues without installing the latest Nvidia driver is odd.
no large reports of July or August's...
i have to reload the OS
what exactly do you mean?
are you wiping the OS drive and performing a fresh install or just using Refresh or Reset options?

if a fresh install;
maybe try creating a new install package with the Media Creation Tool.

if using the built-in Refresh\Reset options;
try a drive wipe and fresh OS install:
upgraded to RTX 3080 from RTX 2060, it keeps crashing windows 10

the fact that you are not experiencing any issues without installing the latest Nvidia driver is odd.
no large reports of July or August's releases having issue.
maybe try going back to an earlier version.
It has a noticeable sag while mounted
that board should have a reinforced PCIe slot but you can still use a GPU stand to raise the sagging parts of the card:
3815724-rog_gpu_support.jpg

Solution

yashumehta

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Hi, thanks for your reply.

How can i find the earlier version of the nvidia legit software ?

I have used something like that temporarily. Yes, the slot itself is reinforced. But i was concern about loose contacts in the slot due to sagging.

This issue has been really frustrating. After installing the drivers, i played some of the demanding games for a while, and i noticed after 8-10 minutes of the game, it crashes. Temps are still fine. is there a chance it has comething to do with clock speed and memory speed of the card itself ?

Thank,
Yash

yashumehta

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
by searching:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

it's possible.
you can always try underclocking the core & memory or try raising power limits and\or voltage.

I downloaded the one step old version and it does the same.

Sorry, I did not notice the earlier question. I did 5-6 times the fresh install. Every time I used the same USB which I made just 5 days back. That process did not have any issue.

I am not sure what to do to troubleshoot and resolve. It's frustrating.

I did 5-6 times the fresh install. Every time I used the same USB which I made just 5 days back.
as i stated earlier;
try creating a new install package with the Media Creation Tool.

yashumehta

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Update : I tried swapping with my old card, turned out it crashes in the old 2060 also. I took out one ram stick, it crashed, took out other installed first one in, it crashed again, I confidently thought its my PSU, acting weird. I got a new Seasonic PSU, installed, and it crashed again during the windows update after a fresh windows install. Did not even install the nvidia drivers. I made the bootable disk again on a different computer, installation finished swiftly without any issues. I tried installing in 2 different nvme SSDs, and both crashed. I am missing something here. Can someone please help me what I am doing wrong or missing something.
Thanks.

yashumehta

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Update : I installed the OS in my SATA SSD and everything worked fine. I played Cyberpunk and RDR2 on ultra for 45 minutes without any issues. I updated the bios to the new version, did reset it and tried installing the OS in nvme SSD and it crashed during the installation and after another successful installation during driver installation. And it never allowed me to reach desktop again. It came with automatic repair and no bootable drives. I had to reload the OS to SATA SSD, it s crashing again. dump file says - storport.sys and ntoskrnl.exe. microsoft storage port driver and NT kernel and system.

yashumehta

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Update - Resolved. I unplugged the ethernet. I tried installing the OS on NVMe , it crashed during installaiton. So I suspected it thinking bios incorrect settings. I have 2 Nvme s installed. I deleted both of them installed the OS on Sata SSD while being offline so the windows wont download any drivers or updates during the installation and finalization. I installed the Asus drivers from the SSD being offline. installed one by one all the drivers. installed nvidia drivers from the downloaded package. Connected to internet. Worked fine, installed steam and Rockstar games. Formatted one Nvme and started using it, Formatted other Nvme, started installing on it, it crashed, checked dump file and event viewer, this time it gave the warning of disk memory, and My programs were not getting installed and froze. I tried copying the data it failed. SO my Seagate Nvme was the culprit behind all this. and windows default driver would just crash it even before i could check the dump file or uninstall something.i never expected Nvme failing considering its just 8 months old. Older SSD, NVME and even HDD are working fine. I have been testing since morning, played RDR2, Far Cry 5 for a while on ultra, I hope its resolved permanantly.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost