Windows Crashes During Olympic Ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
"whenever you are dealing with Windows, there seems to be a chance that the BSOD will hit"

What are people doing to their computers? What kinda of cheap-ass hardware are you trying to run Windows on?

I have not had a BSOD since windows 9x. I am baffled that people will throw all kinds of spyware/adware (most of the time the download is not free geniuses) on their computers, shell out a raging 300 bucks to build or by a machine, not maintain the computer in anyway, throw performance hampering anti-virus software on their computers that will not remove the SPYWARE that they believe is a virus and still blame Windows for crashing. This is almost equivalent to overloading a garbage bag, slicing little holes all over the garbage bag and then blaming hefty when your garbage ends up on the floor.

I would suspect the BSOD in this case is from faulty hardware (China should have plenty lying around) or an unreliable proprietary program.

Hmm, seeing that it is China, presumably this is a pirated version of Windows anyway. Would have been funnier if the screen message was an MS 'genuine advantage' warning about counterfeit software..

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Pirated version of windows XP... 0$, low end Chinese media server... $300, The whole system blue screening during the Olympic torch ceremony... priceless.

Its priceless, but there are so many things that can cause it.

Bad ram is the number one cause of it on properly maintained systems.

How is this different then a tv channel locking up/macro blocking? That would have been far worse. I would assume someone would have been watching and there would have been backup.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I've had a couple blue-screens when I was overclocking my CPU, but it is really hard to blu-screen or lock up a windows OS now. You have to do something outside its parameters and not just to a minor degree. Now a Mac on the other hand, I can do the same thing and I wouldn't be seeing that machine again.

G

That's typical for Windows! Anytime you use a product that has always been unstable, you're bound to have problems. Foreign countries usually support open source software, so why didn't they use a Linux server for the Olympics? Perhaps another payoff from M$...? Probably!

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
1. Why is there a projected image on the back of the big brim screen? Kinda a weird place to place a projector.
2. Why is one crashed windows = one BSOD? Shouldn't this server be running multiple projectors?

G

F A K E ! ! Find the picture of this BSOD... Now since its in China, shouldn't they speak Chinese? The BSOD is IN ENGLISH. Plus you can look at the edges and see its clearly photoshop.

weilin

Distinguished
Actually, BSODs are in english reguardless of which langauge pack is installed. I've seen a few on Chinese computers. Since the debugger speaks English, giving him a Chinese output wouldn't be very useful...

calmnchaos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
After looking at different screenshots the error is 0x000000F4
"A PROCESS OR THREAD CRUCIAL TO SYSTEM OPERATION HAS UNEXPECTEDLY EXITED OR BEEN TERMINATED"
For those curious...

G

Not that it's more likely, but let's not forget there's also the possibility of this being a screen-saver...

Strange to see no "beginning dump of physical memory" on that screen.

And last time i checked(when i saw this :)), Windows defaults to a flash blue screen and restart. That may have been better here.

0x000000F4 also occurs with bad memory(first hand experience)

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
"What are people doing to their computers? What kinda of cheap-ass hardware are you trying to run Windows on?"
i think the article was written light heartedly, rather than being overly serious. Windows has come a long way since win95, being a hard system to BSOD these days, but it does happen, and it can be funny when it does happen if its not on your own computer. Mainly BSOD are due to hardware faults as pointed out these days.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation]Actually, BSODs are in english reguardless of which langauge pack is installed.[/citation]
No, they are not. At least on the Czech edition of Windows XP, the text is in Czech, not in English.
Perhaps it is just too hard to print Chinese characters in text mode so MS didn't bother.

G

A Texas company High End Systems provided technoloy support for the Opening Ceremony.Using 120 HES Axon Media Servers in Beijing Olympics
All light and projectors are controlled by Axon Media Servers with 3 Wholehog 3.
Axon Media Servers specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
MB: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Display: ATI HD2900XT(ASUS)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
OS: Windows XP Embedded O/S,with DirectX?DirectShow?NET 2.0 Framework
---------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.