Windows Crashes on New Scanner Install

Hi everyone,

I'm using Win 98, IE6, OE 6 on a Pentium lll, 650Mhz, 360MB RAM PC.

I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner but each time I
follow install instructions via CD, my Win 98 freezes or crashes (not sure
what it's called) and I get a screen of vertical stripes of a colour to match
whatever colours were in the last screen I was using. I then reboot and
inevitably get the same response, though at varying stages, in the
installation process.

I tried installing the unit on two other similar PC's without a problem.
I've run diagnostics but everything is reported to be running fine. The
crashes are not accompanied with an Error Message of any sort. However, I've
found that, sometimes, not always, for a few hours after I abandon the
installation process, I will get a crash screen at various points in normal
operation, with no process seeming to be a pattern to trigger it. Then it
eventually stops occurring (after two or three instances in two or three
hours).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Terry
--
Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

"Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I'm using Win 98, IE6, OE 6 on a Pentium lll, 650Mhz, 360MB RAM PC.
>
> I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner but each time
> follow install instructions via CD, my Win 98 freezes or crashes (not sure
> what it's called) and I get a screen of vertical stripes of a colour to
match
> whatever colours were in the last screen I was using. I then reboot and
> inevitably get the same response, though at varying stages, in the
> installation process.

Are you sure Epson has Win98 drivers for this recent purchase?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Thanks for your reply Don,

Yes, the Scanner is compatible with Win 98 and has all the necessary
upgrades and installs (according to the accompanying manual).

Terry

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I'm using Win 98, IE6, OE 6 on a Pentium lll, 650Mhz, 360MB RAM PC.
> >
> > I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner but each time
> > follow install instructions via CD, my Win 98 freezes or crashes (not sure
> > what it's called) and I get a screen of vertical stripes of a colour to
> match
> > whatever colours were in the last screen I was using. I then reboot and
> > inevitably get the same response, though at varying stages, in the
> > installation process.
>
> Are you sure Epson has Win98 drivers for this recent purchase?
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Didn't see a USB 2.0 port on your list. Scanner requires a USB 2.0 port,
I.E. high speed.
Any doubt, see here:
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Epson_Perfection_1670_Photo/4507-3136_16-30527150.html?tag=tab

Oddly, USB 2.0 is only mentioned here, and only works with Win2K/XP for that
kind of port. Yet, the prior link says the scanner requires a USB 2.0 port.
http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/0/000/026/922/P1670_InfoSheet.pdf

And, what I don't understand, is the requirement for a "factory installed"
OS by Epson's requirements. WTF is that?
"Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using Win 98, IE6, OE 6 on a Pentium lll, 650Mhz, 360MB RAM PC.
>
> I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner but each time
> follow install instructions via CD, my Win 98 freezes or crashes (not sure
> what it's called) and I get a screen of vertical stripes of a colour to
match
> whatever colours were in the last screen I was using. I then reboot and
> inevitably get the same response, though at varying stages, in the
> installation process.
>
> I tried installing the unit on two other similar PC's without a problem.
> I've run diagnostics but everything is reported to be running fine. The
> crashes are not accompanied with an Error Message of any sort. However,
I've
> found that, sometimes, not always, for a few hours after I abandon the
> installation process, I will get a crash screen at various points in
normal
> operation, with no process seeming to be a pattern to trigger it. Then it
> eventually stops occurring (after two or three instances in two or three
> hours).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Terry
> --
> Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

Thanks for the heads up Lil Dave.

Since I 've never gotten to the actual point of plugging the system in, I
just assumed the USB cable would plug into the other port alongside the one
in use by the Hi-speed Modem. I've gone over the literature again and it
clearly states being supported by Win 98.

Terry

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> Didn't see a USB 2.0 port on your list. Scanner requires a USB 2.0 port,
> I.E. high speed.
> Any doubt, see here:
> http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Epson_Perfection_1670_Photo/4507-3136_16-30527150.html?tag=tab
>
> Oddly, USB 2.0 is only mentioned here, and only works with Win2K/XP for that
> kind of port. Yet, the prior link says the scanner requires a USB 2.0 port.
> http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/0/000/026/922/P1670_InfoSheet.pdf
>
> And, what I don't understand, is the requirement for a "factory installed"
> OS by Epson's requirements. WTF is that?
> "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm using Win 98, IE6, OE 6 on a Pentium lll, 650Mhz, 360MB RAM PC.
> >
> > I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner but each time
> > follow install instructions via CD, my Win 98 freezes or crashes (not sure
> > what it's called) and I get a screen of vertical stripes of a colour to
> match
> > whatever colours were in the last screen I was using. I then reboot and
> > inevitably get the same response, though at varying stages, in the
> > installation process.
> >
> > I tried installing the unit on two other similar PC's without a problem.
> > I've run diagnostics but everything is reported to be running fine. The
> > crashes are not accompanied with an Error Message of any sort. However,
> I've
> > found that, sometimes, not always, for a few hours after I abandon the
> > installation process, I will get a crash screen at various points in
> normal
> > operation, with no process seeming to be a pattern to trigger it. Then it
> > eventually stops occurring (after two or three instances in two or three
> > hours).
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Terry
> > --
> > Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

That scanner works with either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports, USB 2.0 just being a faster
interface but not required. The specs for the scanner show that it is compatible
with your system:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Specs&oid=35836299&category=Products
and the fact that it works on other systems you have installed it on, indicates to
me that the problem is a fault on this one computer. Your description sounds like
an issue with the display driver (for your video card) and the fact that you are
seeing the problem even when not running the scanner setup points to either a driver
problem or a hardware problem, IMHO.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using Win 98, IE6, OE 6 on a Pentium lll, 650Mhz, 360MB RAM PC.
>
> I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner but each time I
> follow install instructions via CD, my Win 98 freezes or crashes (not sure
> what it's called) and I get a screen of vertical stripes of a colour to match
> whatever colours were in the last screen I was using. I then reboot and
> inevitably get the same response, though at varying stages, in the
> installation process.
>
> I tried installing the unit on two other similar PC's without a problem.
> I've run diagnostics but everything is reported to be running fine. The
> crashes are not accompanied with an Error Message of any sort. However, I've
> found that, sometimes, not always, for a few hours after I abandon the
> installation process, I will get a crash screen at various points in normal
> operation, with no process seeming to be a pattern to trigger it. Then it
> eventually stops occurring (after two or three instances in two or three
> hours).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Terry
> --
> Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

Hey Glee,

Thanks for the response. I've somewhat resolved the issue by returning the
unit for refund. But I agree, I have a hardware problem. When I get more
energy, I'll tackle it.

At risk of speaking out of turn or seeming insolent (unintentional), each
time I've checked this thread for responses, I've allowed myself to become
distracted (tricked?) by the threads "The Greatest News Ever Told". For some
reason, I keep thinking there must be something more than I'm getting to
deserve such a title. But it seems I'm mistaken each time. It sounds like an
overplayed and well-known tune to me. Besides, what place does such a thread
have in a "TechNet Discussion Groups Home" forum?

Like I said, I'm at risk here with such a response.

Thanks,
Terry

"glee" wrote:

> That scanner works with either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports, USB 2.0 just being a faster
> interface but not required. The specs for the scanner show that it is compatible
> with your system:
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Specs&oid=35836299&category=Products
> and the fact that it works on other systems you have installed it on, indicates to
> me that the problem is a fault on this one computer. Your description sounds like
> an issue with the display driver (for your video card) and the fact that you are
> seeing the problem even when not running the scanner setup points to either a driver
> problem or a hardware problem, IMHO.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm using Win 98, IE6, OE 6 on a Pentium lll, 650Mhz, 360MB RAM PC.
> >
> > I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner but each time I
> > follow install instructions via CD, my Win 98 freezes or crashes (not sure
> > what it's called) and I get a screen of vertical stripes of a colour to match
> > whatever colours were in the last screen I was using. I then reboot and
> > inevitably get the same response, though at varying stages, in the
> > installation process.
> >
> > I tried installing the unit on two other similar PC's without a problem.
> > I've run diagnostics but everything is reported to be running fine. The
> > crashes are not accompanied with an Error Message of any sort. However, I've
> > found that, sometimes, not always, for a few hours after I abandon the
> > installation process, I will get a crash screen at various points in normal
> > operation, with no process seeming to be a pattern to trigger it. Then it
> > eventually stops occurring (after two or three instances in two or three
> > hours).
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Terry
> > --
> > Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

The post(s) you're talking about are SPAM. Just like the SPAM you get in
your email. These are public newsgroups, and anyone, anywhere, can post
anything they want to. Yes, there are mechanisms that permit us to
request that the managers of the Microsoft servers remove messages, but
it is the nature of newsgroups that once a message gets posted, it's
difficult to eradicate it. Figure that anything that makes it to a
newsgroup, any newsgroup, is likely to live forever on the internet.

Considering your response to the SPAM here, I have to tell you that I'm
concerned about your email habits, also. In particular, *never* install
any patch that claims to come from Microsoft and is attached to the
email. Microsoft *never* attaches executable code to emails. (I wish
their emails were all plain-text-only, but that's a different battle.)
In fact, unless you specifically request email from Microsoft, they
don't usually send any.

Another kind of SPAM consists of "phishing" schemes, where bogus emails
appearing to come from legitimate sources try to trick you into giving
out your personal information, including credit card numbers, passwords,
etc., often telling you to "please confirm" your personal data and
providing a link. 99% of emails like this are from criminals.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Another kind of SPAM consists of "phishing" schemes, where bogus emails
> appearing to come from legitimate sources try to trick you into giving
> out your personal information, including credit card numbers, passwords,
> etc., often telling you to "please confirm" your personal data and
> providing a link. 99% of emails like this are from criminals.

Worse yet, Pharming. They don't even have to send an email to draw you in, they
simply go the Domain Spoofing route now and get the info needed via DNS.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>