wsupduck

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Every time i try to overclock my x3 720 on an asus m4a7bt-e windows crashes

even when i change the multiplier from 14x stock to 14.5 (100 mhz increase) windows crashes, regardless of whether in bios or amd overdrive

PLEASE HELP

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Okay I dont mean to sound harsh but did you research how to overclock? Sigh. Okay... let's get started. (I should make a word pad document with this guide...)

To overclock using multiplier:
1) Check your temperatures before overclocking. If their under 30c idle and 45c full load, you can continue however I would recommend getting a new cooler.
2) Raising your multiplier is best done in your BIOS, so please do it in your bios. What you need to do is increase the Multiplier one notch .5x or 1x, than raise the voltage by .05! not .1 not 1.0, but .05 after that is done if your windows crashes, than raise the voltage by another .05 keeping the multiplier the same. Do this until you can get on your desktop, and you can run Prime 95 for atleast 15 minutes. Once you have run Prime95 for 15 minutes, check the temperatures on the CPU make sure they dont go higher than 50c under full load.
3) Now your CPU is fine with it's small OC, now repeat the processor while increasing the CPU multiplier/Voltage until your either:
A) Your voltage on the CPU reaches 1.5 (stop after this and go back to the last settings that gave you stability. This is your MAX OC.
B) Your temperatures hit over 58c under full load... Either get a new cooler, or go back to a previous setting.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RAISE THE VOLTAGE BY NO MORE THAN .1, RECOMMENDED TO RAISE BY .05...

IF YOUR SYSTEM DOESN'T BOOT; NO DISPLAY, NO LIGHTS THAN PLEASE REFER TO A MOTHERBOARD "CMOS" BATTERY PULL, OR A BIOS RESET. You can look it up.