[SOLVED] Windows crashing instantly after overclocking i5-9600K to 5.0GHz

Jan 18, 2019
Before trying this there were problems even at 4.9GHz, but this was because the BIOS was limiting the maximum wattage. I think the CPU doesn't have enough power (the motherboard has both a 4 pin and an 8 pin connector, but my PSU has only an 8 pin). Will getting another PSU fix the problem or is there something else in the BIOS that prevents the CPU from using as much power as it needs?
My motherboard is a Gigabyte Gaming X

Solution
If your MB has a 4pin power connection then it should be populated especially when OCing.

Some 8pin cables can be split at the terminal/socket, Do you have one of those and if not then obtain a four pin cable.
Also if you have issues at 4.9GHz then why try 5.0GHz. Overclocking should be done in stages and stress tested at each phase of the OC. This is to ensure stability due to PSU efficiency and possible overheating issues.

List the PSU.?
If your MB has a 4pin power connection then it should be populated especially when OCing.

Some 8pin cables can be split at the terminal/socket, Do you have one of those and if not then obtain a four pin cable.
Also if you have issues at 4.9GHz then why try 5.0GHz. Overclocking should be done in stages and stress tested at each phase of the OC. This is to ensure stability due to PSU efficiency and possible overheating issues.

List the PSU.?

Solution
Jan 18, 2019
4.9GHz is stable if I increase the max wattage (which I did). I was thinking that the CPU doesn't have enough power (I need both the 8 pin and the 4 pin cable, the PSU is a 650W one so this is not a problem). So my question is: will adding a 4 pin fix this issue? (Which means I have to change the PSU because my current one isn't modular)

The Wattage delivered by the PSU is not the thing that determines a decent Overclock. You need a decent gold certified unit with excellent efficiency to deliver the CPU what it needs under load especially at 5.0GHz.
List your full system specs and a PSU recommendation will be given.