[SOLVED] Windows Crashing with different error codes.

Apr 10, 2020
Hello everyone.

Since i updated windows i beleive a month or a month and a half ago my computer keeps crashing randomly with different error code such as :
- system service exception
-kernel security check failure
-IRQL_NOT_GREATER_OR_EQUAL
-IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
-NO_EXCEPTION_HANDLING_SUPPORT
-KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I formated all my drives and tried to re-install windows but no changes. When i play a game my pc doesn't crash, but when i go on chrome or watch a movie my pc crashes.

My specs :

Processor:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
RAM:
16 GB
Operating System:
Windows 10
Service Pack
Size
64-bit
Edition
Version
Locale
Drives:
1TB HDD
120GB SSD

Motheboard:
Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H V2

If anyone knows the solution or could offer some help, it would be amazing. Thanks ;)

Last edited:
Solution
looked at the most current bugcheck. system was up 13 minutes
then microsoft malware tried to start scanning
and tried to run a unknown function.
the microsoft driver is wdfilter.sys but it might have been replaced or corrupted.
WdFilter.sys * Invalid

you should boot, stop the microsoft anti malware service
then start cmd.exe as an admin then run
sfc.exe /scannnow
then run
dism.exe /online /clean-image /restorehealth

and reboot and try the and run a microsoft security scan and see if it bugchecks the machine again.
I will take a spot check of the older bugchecks to see if it is the same problem.

Note: looks like microsoft just updated this program on dec 14 2020 and it changed the path. You might only need to make...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Reactions: ARRKENED7
Apr 10, 2020
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Hello Colif, thank you for the awnser. unfortunately neither of those solutions worked. I ran Memtest i found 0 error in my ram, the next solution didn't work either.

I appreciate the awnser and if you have any other solution that could help let me know.

Thanks

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
It very possible that the ram chips might not be fast enough or have a small defect. I would let memtest x86 run with both sticks in for about an hour or more, 3 cycles at least. to confirm there is no issues with the memory controller. If it does find errors then start testing them individualy.

You would need to put the windows diagnostic memory dump (minidumps) onto a server so someone can use a windows debugger to see why windows shutdown your system with a bugcheck.

each of these bugchecks will have error codes and info inside the minidump file. Without looking at them you are getting a guess as to the fix.
even looking at them may only lead to a best guess as to the root problem.

You would need to put the windows diagnostic memory dump (minidumps) onto a server so someone can use a windows debugger to see why windows shutdown your system with a bugcheck.

each of these bugchecks will have error codes and info inside the minidump file. Without looking at them you are getting a guess as to the fix.

the funny thing is often the solution will be "update the motherboard bios and the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website and remove any overclocking tool"

looking at the dumps just tells you which driver to remove/update or if they should scan for malware.

Apr 10, 2020

Do have a tutorial on how to do that?

Also i ran memtest, it did test the ram for more than 4h and found nothing, no error. My ram is a single 16gb stick

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do have a tutorial on how to do that?

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Dec 18, 2020
System Error Codes are very broad: each one can occur in one of many hundreds of locations in the system. Consequently, the descriptions of these codes cannot be very specific. The use of these codes requires some amount of investigation and analysis. You need to note both the programmatic and the runtime context in which these errors occur.

Because these codes are defined in WinError.h for anyone to use, sometimes the codes are returned by non-system software. And sometimes the code is returned by a function deep in the stack and far removed from the code that is handling the error.

The following topics provide lists of system error codes. These values are defined in the WinError.h header file.

System Error Codes (0-499) (0x0-0x1f3)
System Error Codes (500-999) (0x1f4-0x3e7)
System Error Codes (1000-1299) (0x3e8-0x513)
System Error Codes (1300-1699) (0x514-0x6a3)
System Error Codes (1700-3999) (0x6a4-0xf9f)
System Error Codes (4000-5999) (0xfa0-0x176f)
System Error Codes (6000-8199) (0x1770-0x2007)
System Error Codes (8200-8999) (0x2008-0x2327)
System Error Codes (9000-11999) (0x2328-0x2edf)
System Error Codes (12000-15999) (0x2ee0-0x3e7f)

You can find fixes related to these errors on the official Microsoft website.

Regards,
Jerry.

bugcheck codes are not the same as windows 32 error codes.
windows error codes are built up and can be decoded to determine what subsystem reported the error and what the error returned was.

the history of the error codes presented dates way back to the old MSNET code on DOS, then os2 1.x , os2 2.x , and os2 3.0 (renamed to NT 3.x)
then onward until the windows series was phased out and NT was renamed to take its place.
the codes are built up from 3 sub parts.
0x80070005
0x8 (don't remember the name for this field, have to look it up)
0x7 = facility code
0x5 = error code

the nt bugcheck codes are a different set of codes issued by the NT kernel.

some nt bugcheck codes:
Bug Check Code Reference - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

here is info on how windows error codes these are decoded:
[MS-ERREF]: HRESULT | Microsoft Docs

the microsoft driver is wdfilter.sys but it might have been replaced or corrupted.
WdFilter.sys * Invalid

sfc.exe /scannnow
then run

and reboot and try the and run a microsoft security scan and see if it bugchecks the machine again.
I will take a spot check of the older bugchecks to see if it is the same problem.

Note: looks like microsoft just updated this program on dec 14 2020 and it changed the path. You might only need to make sure you are installing the microsoft updates before the scanner kicks in. then reboot so the old scanner is not used.
(you can turn stop the scanner while you update then reboot and it might just fix the problem)
---------------
second bugcheck was caused by corrupted device driver memory.
see if the above dism.exe command finds anything.
-------------
third bugcheck was corrupted data being used by the storage controller
raw stack shows
amdppm!ReadGenAddrEx
amdppm.sys is AMDPrimary Processor Module

this driver has been showing up at unexpected times.
I have asked some people to disable the driver and see if that helps. I have not heard back yet
you can disable the driver by going into the registry and change this entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdppm
Start to have a value of 4

please note what the old value was so you can put it back if it does not help.
one person said his system was set to 3 which should be a manual start up value:
ServiceStartMode Enum (System.ServiceProcess) | Microsoft Docs
i think setting it to 4 should lock your processor frequencies.

if it were me, I would disable it until after I got amd bios updates and new chipset drivers next january 2020 I would also check for windows updates and windows advanced updates for the file.
-----------
next bugcheck was in readyboost
i have no idea what called it.
called nt!VslpEnterIumSecureMode before readyboost
-------------

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 10, 2020
WdFilter.sys * Invalid

sfc.exe /scannnow
then run

Note: looks like microsoft just updated this program on dec 14 2020 and it changed the path. You might only need to make sure you are installing the microsoft updates before the scanner kicks in. then reboot so the old scanner is not used.
(you can turn stop the scanner while you update then reboot and it might just fix the problem)
---------------
second bugcheck was caused by corrupted device driver memory.
see if the above dism.exe command finds anything.
-------------
third bugcheck was corrupted data being used by the storage controller
raw stack shows
amdppm!ReadGenAddrEx
amdppm.sys is AMDPrimary Processor Module

this driver has been showing up at unexpected times.
I have asked some people to disable the driver and see if that helps. I have not heard back yet
you can disable the driver by going into the registry and change this entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdppm
Start to have a value of 4

please note what the old value was so you can put it back if it does not help.
one person said his system was set to 3 which should be a manual start up value:
ServiceStartMode Enum (System.ServiceProcess) | Microsoft Docs
i think setting it to 4 should lock your processor frequencies.

if it were me, I would disable it until after I got amd bios updates and new chipset drivers next january 2020 I would also check for windows updates and windows advanced updates for the file.
-----------
next bugcheck was in readyboost
i have no idea what called it.
called nt!VslpEnterIumSecureMode before readyboost
-------------

Thanks man, I'll try all this out today. It's gonna be hard since my Windows crashes randomly everytime,but with patience i should be able to do it😂