[SOLVED] Windows Critical Error: PC did not shutdown properly?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Well I leave my pc on usually, but every now and again there is load shedding or I shutdown my pc fully to let it cool properly or when going afk, and then after I resume computing I can see that there is a windows critical error for the pc not having shut down properly it's not a big deal but if you see it the way I do, load shedding (temporary power loss in my country) should cause this. Obviously, but why does it show this error when I did the shutdown, 1st I thought this was a windows 10 glitch, but now that I have a similar 2nd Pc and its not doing the same error I can eliminate that it is windows that was causing this error. Power supply (PSU) fault?

Last edited:
Solution
Turn off fast startup if there are times you know you lose power - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

with it on, pc isn't actually off when shutdown. it is in a low power state, but not fully off.

So you can get errors showing up if you lose power after shutdown as the power loss after shutdown wasn't expected by windows. which was asleep at the time.

If you turn fast start up off, you won't get the errors as PC is actually off when shutdown.

Its not really helping you anyway if you boot off SSD, its more to make hdd seem faster.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Turn off fast startup if there are times you know you lose power - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

with it on, pc isn't actually off when shutdown. it is in a low power state, but not fully off.

So you can get errors showing up if you lose power after shutdown as the power loss after shutdown wasn't expected by windows. which was asleep at the time.

If you turn fast start up off, you won't get the errors as PC is actually off when shutdown.

Its not really helping you anyway if you boot off SSD, its more to make hdd seem faster.

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Thanks, Colif. I never actually seen that settings (Change what the bower buttons do) menu before you just pointed it out, I usually just set my power plan after a format and be it the way it is after that, even that there was something to be done about that critical error. (Really actually just wanted to know why)

So thanks for the info, and also thank you to ten forums for the great tutorial. (I disabled Turn On Fast Startup) Did a manual shutdown, and after boot and windows there was no critical error anymore, one more thing learned and sorted, thanks a lot don't know why I hadn't asked for help with this sooner. (must have gone with this error and my quick fix of executing reset reliability monitor bat file for more than a few years now), but a permanent solution is always better.

Obviously I will probably still be getting the critical error when there is load shedding or a sudden power cut, will have to see about that.

Now the real question is why was only this pc affected by this and not my other pc, is there some underlying hardware or software fault?

Colif

Win 11 Master
that critical error is normal after a unexplained shutdown. Everyone gets it in that case. Nothing you can do about it.

i don't know about the 2nd pc but if its on the same power scheme, I would turn feature off on it as well. If its a win 10 PC. If its win 7, the feature didn't exist before win 8.1

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
The only thing different between the two pc's power wise is different brands of 1000watt PSU, this error however was only experienced on the pc with the Antec power supply and not the Coolermaster power supply pc, in the back of my mind tells me that there is the cause of the windows error, I know this is true because I had all the components from the second pc connected to the Antec power supply before I had finalized building the 2nd pc and then it did have the error, whilst having all the exact same installation and settings, power scheme and such similar to one another as they are now and where even before.

Both pc are windows 10 Home 64bit 20H2 now and the error has only ever been on the pc with the Antec power supply & windows fast boot enabled.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Yeah it does seem quite excessive when you 1st look at it, I do have a AMD RX VEGA 64 in my main pc witch apparently needs at least 750Watt & two separate PCi-E 8 Pins and when it came to the time when I got that baby the 1000Watt HCG Antec was just reviewed here on Tom's Hardware and it looked like something I could go with and might even be able to power my future builds with, and it was sold to me by a local online retailor with 10year warranty and a great discount. Since then I had upgraded my processor to a more capable 125Watt i5 CPU coming from a 95Watt i5 CPU and this PSU choice easily let me have the headroom for more powerful components with power to spare, not even talking about all the remarkable protections the PSU has and thus far has held up promisingly with the random power outages and other more embarrassing low or single phase power sometimes occurring here.

Then again it does look and sound quite powerful witch I like and the best thing about the 1000Watt is that the pc witch it is installed in doesn't really consume a 1000Watt of electricity it only provides what is required for the components, my pc's have never been more stable since I upgrade to 1000Watt Power Supplies.