[SOLVED] Windows deactivated itself after an absolute tsunami of technical disasters, product key nowhere on PC

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
So the story begins in August 2020.
I thought I was clever and installed Ubuntu 20.04 to replace Windows on my prebuilt HP Z220 Workstation. The copy of windows WAS activated and WAS windows 10.

Then the disk died. So I installed Ubuntu again.

Long story short one day Ubuntu was suddenly incompatible with my PC (even though i did nothing) and half the motherboard was effectively unusable.

Installing Windows 10 fixed this but now it's deactivated .

This sounds like a me problem but I went to Ubuntu for various reasons, such as the fact that Windows was glitching my computer out, and it needed reinstalled. I didn't have a windows installer on hand by then, so I installed Ubuntu. This still might be a "me" problem though

Solution
The copy of windows WAS activated and WAS windows 10.
any pc thats had win 10 on it should allow you to reinstall it. Putting Ubuntu on the drive should have no effect as the details of the activation are stored on Microsoft servers, or on motherboard, never on the storage drive.

storage drives die, it happens, so marrying the licence to a drive would just be evil.

if you have the key on the PC, you should contact Microsoft as they should have record of the activation. They might want an email address, They can fix activation from their end.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Is there an option to refresh / force a recheck on the license in settings?

bgY6BUW.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
The copy of windows WAS activated and WAS windows 10.
any pc thats had win 10 on it should allow you to reinstall it. Putting Ubuntu on the drive should have no effect as the details of the activation are stored on Microsoft servers, or on motherboard, never on the storage drive.

storage drives die, it happens, so marrying the licence to a drive would just be evil.

if you have the key on the PC, you should contact Microsoft as they should have record of the activation. They might want an email address, They can fix activation from their end.

Solution

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
still under warranty, contact hp for the key
It's 10 years old, the warranty is long gone
You also have to install the exact same version of Windows for it to activate. For instance if you were on Home edition and installed Pro, etc.
I installed Home N, I think that's what it was before, or maybe it was just Home. If I was wrong, does it matter? The only difference I see is the N.

kanewolf

Titan
So the story begins in August 2020.
I thought I was clever and installed Ubuntu 20.04 to replace Windows on my prebuilt HP Z220 Workstation. The copy of windows WAS activated and WAS windows 10.

Then the disk died. So I installed Ubuntu again.

Long story short one day Ubuntu was suddenly incompatible with my PC (even though i did nothing) and half the motherboard was effectively unusable.

Installing Windows 10 fixed this but now it's deactivated .

This sounds like a me problem but I went to Ubuntu for various reasons, such as the fact that Windows was glitching my computer out, and it needed reinstalled. I didn't have a windows installer on hand by then, so I installed Ubuntu. This still might be a "me" problem though
It may be a problem with the version you installed. The original key should be in the BIOS. I don't know if a typical Windows install knows how to get to the key in the BIOS. There are utilities that can read it. Google for HP BIOS Windows Key

Colif

Win 11 Master
“N” editions of Windows are available in Europe, and are missing a few media-related features. On Windows 10, they don’t include Windows Media Player, Groove Music, Movies & TV, Voice Recorder, or Skype.

They are different versions, so yeah. if you had Home before. Only way to fix is to reinstall right one