Windows Defender Real Time Protection Wont Turn On!?

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
I ran into this issue today with windows defender, before I say this no I do not have another ant-virus program of that sort. Basically in Windows Defender I have Turn-On Real Time Protection checked in the settings tab.. but under the home tab it shows its off. When I check it to turn on it takes a long time to load and I get an error saying it cant be turned on, I have 2 Pictures please look at them. I also tried messing with the services and it doesent let me restart or discable etc. Also my windows is up to date and no virus is on my computer.

314qul5.png

2rhyah5.png

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013

I tried doing those steps it still didnt work .. any other suggestions?

if you have another virus scanner installed windows defender will detect it and refuse to run.
if you had norton trial version and remove it, they leave a driver installed that blocks windows defender from running.

some other causes but mostly I see the norton driver still installed after the product was removed. You have to go to their website and run a program to remove the last of their software.
you can start cmd.exe as a admin (windows key+x, then type A)
then run the command
driverquery.exe
it will provide a list of drivers installed, you have to look at the list and see names that are from antivirus products.
to figure out if this is your problem.

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013

Okay I never had any other ant-virus programs installed tho, I still did the run and I got lots of drivers cant seem to find anything noticable, can I send you screenshots of the list?

you can post the list or send me a message and I will take a quick look.
some malware will make changes to block programs from running.
running the free version of malwarebytes might find them without installing drivers.

for example I have seen malware that put all the names of the various virus scanners on a list to be blocked from running on the machine. it was just a registry entry

start regedit
go to the key
computer\HKEY_Current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\explorer
find the entry for disallowRun
and make sure you don't have programs listed.
some malware will put all the virus scanner back end .exe in the list.

it lets you run the scanners user interface but blocks the actual scanner from running.

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013

Here are all the screenshots:
15xs9qw.jpg

2vnqm4z.jpg

35ksjdx.jpg

2ds1rir.jpg

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013

After Policies there is only another key named "Ext" then in that there is one called CLSID. Nothing with explorer. Something I may be doing wrong?

This is stupid but can you confirm your system time and date are set correctly. Including the year?

guess you can also get this if there are pending updates from windows update to be installed.
you might look at
http://geekzsupport.com/windows-defender-error-0x800705b4/
and try to manually start windows defender.

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013

They are set correctly, 9:35pm atm Eastern Time, From Canada.