Windows Defender slow to open from taskbar.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Windows Defender takes about 10 seconds to open from the taskbar but sometimes opens instantly, usually on a clean boot. Is this normal?

Solution
It is usually in top 2 to 3 best security suites, and gives more user control than free version. Free can't even set up custom scans, or a schedule - someone asked recently. But as it often detects 100% of the files tested, I could live with less control. I swapped to it last December so I looked around to see what was the best and as I don't like Norton as I have used it before, I jumped on Bitdefender.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I tried Bit Defender out before I clean installed Win 10, I've read that Windows Defender is pretty adequate *if* your a safe browser and it's also one of the lightest on resources but there's no harm in trying Bit Defender again...

Colif

Win 11 Master
its light on resources and detection. ITs great if you use Edge

Windows Defender comes with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, but that doesn't mean you should use it. While its once-subpar malware-detection rate has been getting better, Windows Defender still came in last among the six products we reviewed, and its high rate of false positives confirmed that ranking. It has a surprisingly high system impact during full scans, and does nothing to protect non-Microsoft browsers from online malware. In addition, it has nearly no extra features. Even if you don't want to pay for antivirus protection, you can do better than Windows Defender.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-5.html

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I've got to try and get this issue fixed with defender and Windows update first by the look of things. I set my ethernet connection to metered in the registry and for testing purposes I set it back to normal but now Windows update keep throwing error 0x80070643. Something's broke...

Colif

Win 11 Master
try the windows update troubleshooter

Bitdefender not perfect, keeps blocking my attempts to update Malwarebytes, sees it as malicious software. I made a white list for malwarebytes but as it uses the temp folder to decompress the installer for update, Bitdefender just blocks that part. My protection is blocking my protection

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I run a .net repair tool while troubleshooting this and it's created a folder on my desktop, I'm not sure what to do with it.

net_fix.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
Note The data collection feature creates a compressed cab file of the .NET Framework installation logs. After the tool processes the logs, a .cab file that is named "FixDotNet*.cab" or something similar is created and is saved to the current user’s desktop (if it is run in UI mode) or to a specified location. When you click Finish in the wizard, the tool sends the .cab file that contains the logs to Microsoft.

The FixDotNet*.cab file stays on your desktop (or specified location) regardless of whether you decide to send the data to Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2698555

Seems according to that, you should have been given a choice where to save it to. I don't know what you can do with it, I generally don't show my icons on desktop but I suspect you could make a desktop folder called unused shortcuts and never see it again. I used to do that but, as I said, I don't look at icons and it makes uninstalling programs annoying as they don't look in the folder to remove shortcuts.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

You haven't found a solution for this yet?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I haven't looked very hard. Bitdefender ran a full system scan tonight and found nothing, and ublock stops me going anywhere potentially dangerous, and I never install anything unusual or open attachments in email, so I feel not being able to run malwarebytes shouldn't be a concern. Only way around it would be to whitelist the temp folder as well.

it could be like how running two AV on same system just slows it all down and causes conflicts so I may be better leaving it alone.

was easy to find once I looked: https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2505545-malwarebytes-anti-malware-installation-conflict-with-bitdefender-total-security?b_id=6438

Colif

Win 11 Master
from bitdefender home page, click on home users tab heading
click on Free Apps heading
Antivirus free is first thing on here: http://www.bitdefender.com.au/toolbox/freeapps/desktop/

So you saying something on your PC doesn't want a AV on it? Sounds suspicious to me

Did you backup your downloads folder before install? You should have installer already

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
wth, when I click on find out more under the free edition it directs me to the homepage still.

Nope, didn't say that, what made you think that?

I must not have downloaded Bitdefender, I thought I had.

Colif

Win 11 Master
go back to free apps page and click on the windows icon in far right column, next to the Big B icon, that links to the exe.

clicking find out more takes you to a page you already tried to access so I see why that didn't work.