Windows Defender slow to open from taskbar.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Windows Defender takes about 10 seconds to open from the taskbar but sometimes opens instantly, usually on a clean boot. Is this normal?

Solution
It is usually in top 2 to 3 best security suites, and gives more user control than free version. Free can't even set up custom scans, or a schedule - someone asked recently. But as it often detects 100% of the files tested, I could live with less control. I swapped to it last December so I looked around to see what was the best and as I don't like Norton as I have used it before, I jumped on Bitdefender.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't remember last time I used a free AV so I can't answer that from experience, look at reviews and decide based on them. I am not a salesman for Bitdefender, I just find it good as a set and forget type thing.

I might never have used a free AV, I seem to used all the paid versions in last 15 years. I tend to get the security packages and use a different firewall to windows defender

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is usually in top 2 to 3 best security suites, and gives more user control than free version. Free can't even set up custom scans, or a schedule - someone asked recently. But as it often detects 100% of the files tested, I could live with less control. I swapped to it last December so I looked around to see what was the best and as I don't like Norton as I have used it before, I jumped on Bitdefender.

Solution