Question Windows desktop icons "refresh" out of nowhere, still there after DISM and sfc runs

heinmichaelsen

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Well, title basically. Out of nowhere everything (icons, sometime) seems to refresh, and it does so no matter what I'm doing - or NOT doing. Have tried disabling more or less everything and googled it. Google says it's due to corrupt system files...? So ran a dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /the three command line things, and then a sfc /scannow. All completed, still happening. I'd estimate the screen flickers every sayy 10 minutes or so. Has happened on two display driver versions. Any pointers?

D

Deleted member 14196

if those don't find anything, you can try to rebuild the icon cache.

just save this to a batch file, name it anything, like reseticondb.bat, and run it as an administrator

Code:
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
del IconCache.db /a
start explorer.exe

heinmichaelsen

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
if those don't find anything, you can try to rebuild the icon cache.

just save this to a batch file, name it anything, like reseticondb.bat, and run it as an administrator

Code:
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
del IconCache.db /a
start explorer.exe
Allright, thanks again! Nothing found in scans. Have deleted the db-file manually, so will just wait and see if it happens again.

heinmichaelsen

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Still happening after virus and malware scan, and the icon cache db. Is there a sort of system log file somewhere I can check immediately after a hickup to see what's going on?