windows detect ssd and hd, need help with internal hard drive.

LorenzoZamba

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
ok I did other threat and my mistake I click solved trying to go vote the guy that was helping me. anyway thing is it isn't fixed.
the story is this.. I just build this new pc windows 7, asus z97-a motherboard and 2 hard drives one ssd which is the one I have installed windows and other 1tb western digital both internal drives.
I was only seeing in my computer c: the ssd but the 1tb hd didn't appear
thing is my pc detect both and all in the other thread the guy helping me told me to initialize it before it would recognize it so I did.
so now I add it on e: and I can see my 1tb on e:

BUT ,.... in disk management still appears as unallocated and in e: it says its only like this...
System reserved E: 71.8mb free of 99.9MB
yes .. megabytes.
so my question is . should I format it or what should I do, thank you for help.
btw the guy helping me left so there was no way he could help me further cause he had to leave. so I hope someone can help me here. thank you.

here is a pic just in case

Solution
You can remove the e: drive letter from the system partition but be super sure not to delete the partition - just the letter. This was created by windows install and contains critical startup files. You dont want to mess with or accidentally deleted anything in there so just un-assign it. You dont want it to have a drive letter.
Rt click the patition showing the E; drive letter and then select "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
Highlight E: and click "Remove"

Once E; Is free you can assign it to the new TB drive: New Simple volume, largest size you can make it, assign it any drive letter you wish
-do not check the "mount it in an ntfs folder" or "Do Not assign it any drive letter or path" options.
Next

Format with NTFS, default...
You would need to format the disk before you can use it for storage, since you have initialised it already, all you have to do is create a new simple volume by using the wizard (right click on the unallocated space and click create new simple volume).

LorenzoZamba

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
ok im trying to do that and the volume options that appear are 953867 MB... should I continue ?
after I click continue I have options
assign the following driver letter I select D, cause E: its not there anymore
and second option is mount in the following empty NTFS folder (browse)
and third option do not assign a drive letter or drive path

**srry for my low knowledge onthis but this is my first pc build**

popatim

Titan
You can remove the e: drive letter from the system partition but be super sure not to delete the partition - just the letter. This was created by windows install and contains critical startup files. You dont want to mess with or accidentally deleted anything in there so just un-assign it. You dont want it to have a drive letter.
Rt click the patition showing the E; drive letter and then select "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
Highlight E: and click "Remove"

Once E; Is free you can assign it to the new TB drive: New Simple volume, largest size you can make it, assign it any drive letter you wish
-do not check the "mount it in an ntfs folder" or "Do Not assign it any drive letter or path" options.
Next

Format with NTFS, default allocation size, Label it an name you wish (i keep it to 8 characters), check on/enable quick format
- Do not select the "Enable compression" option.
NEXT

Review your selections for accuracy
Click Finish

Solution

LorenzoZamba

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
ok just one doubt, I did almost all.
on the last part check off quick format ?? I check off? so that means ill remove the check and leave both in blank correct? or you meant check on ?