Question Windows detecting 8 of 16gb ram (4x4gb)

SuspiciousHero

Prominent
Sep 5, 2019
I recently bought 2 more sticks of the same ram that was in my computer, and windows isn't detecting all of it. CPU-Z sees all of it, and it's all shown in the BIOS. I have windows education, which should support all of it.

What do i do to resolve this?

Motherboard is gigabyte b450 aorus elite
ram is 4x4gb of g.skill ripjaws v series

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Which version of windows do you have installed?
32-Bit limits ram to 4GB.
64-Bit limits ram to 512.
Are you using 4 sticks of 4 GB, which would equal 16?
How much of it IS detected?

Specifying your CPU may be helpful, as well as the memory model exact part number, and BIOS version.

Your motherboard has multiple QVLs for memory, based on CPU.

Memory is only guaranteed in the form sold, at time of purchase.

Does windows recognize all 4 banks? Try opening an adminstrator command prompt and try the following command:

wmic MemoryChip get BankLabel, Capacity, datawidth, devicelocator, MemoryType, manufacturer, configuredclockspeed, configuredvoltage, partnumber, Speed, Tag, status

Check for variances in the above data

SuspiciousHero

Prominent
Sep 5, 2019
Which version of windows do you have installed?
32-Bit limits ram to 4GB.
64-Bit limits ram to 512.
Are you using 4 sticks of 4 GB, which would equal 16?
How much of it IS detected?
64bit, it's detecting 8gb of the 16.
Yes i said 4x4gb stick, and i have windows education, which from what i can find is capable of supporting all 16gb

Specifying your CPU may be helpful, as well as the memory model exact part number, and BIOS version.

Your motherboard has multiple QVLs for memory, based on CPU.

Memory is only guaranteed in the form sold, at time of purchase.

Does windows recognize all 4 banks? Try opening an adminstrator command prompt and try the following command:

wmic MemoryChip get BankLabel, Capacity, datawidth, devicelocator, MemoryType, manufacturer, configuredclockspeed, configuredvoltage, partnumber, Speed, Tag, status

Check for variances in the above data

CPU: Ryzen 1700x
BIOS Ver.: F42a (the most recent)
The partnumber given by cmd was F4-3200C16-4GVKB
Everything it gave me was the same on all 4 channels, so it looks like windows is recognizing the banks

Ryzen 1700x = Summit Ridge.

Memory part number NOT on the QVL

This doesn't mean it won't work, but that it either failed, or wasn't tested.

According to Gigabyte's QVL from what I saw:
At 3200MHz, the G-skill part they do list appears compatible in a 2 bank, not 4 bank configuration.
At 2666MHz (Summit ridge memory controller stock peak), 1 of 3 kits listed as 4 bank compatible.
At 2400MHz 17 of 35 kits listed as 4 bank compatible
At 2133MHz 8 of 15 kits listed as 4 bank compatible

(pretty sure I counted correctly, but please feel free to double check)

If your memory is returnable, I would suggest obtaining a 2x8GB configuration.

Otherwise, if you are running an XMP profile, you can try running the settings down to stock 2133, and work up the frequency, voltage, and tighten the timings manually, and see what happens.

Ryzen loves memory frequency/speed is my understanding. How low do you want to go?

"...2 more sticks of the same ram that was in my computer, and windows isn't detecting all of it."

That is not unusual for such a combination. Such combinations have no guarantee to be compatible together. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold, not by using exact match, identical, same thing.

AM4 motherboards normally face a steep reduction in maximum supported memory speed when populating more than two memory slots. Supported speeds depend on the processor being used.

Ryzen 7 1700X - AMD - WikiChip

See "Memory Configuration Chart"

Ryzen 2000 Series and 3000 Series featured an improved memory controller offering higher supported memory speeds.

TRENDING THREADS