Question Windows didn't shutdown correctly

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Hi, I have a month old laptop which is a Lenovo 5i Pro and when it is switched off, if I unplug the charger and then turn on the laptop, sometimes the laptop starts up like it's been on a full reboot and if I go to reliability history, there is a critical event saying Windows didn't shut down properly.

The laptop hardware scan is fine and Windows doesn't show as corrupted.

It's not bothering my day to day use. Do I need to worry? Cheers.

Ralston18

Titan
"and when it is switched off ".

Are you using the Windows power icon to turn off the laptop before physically switching the laptop off?

Windows needs some time to prepare itself for the next boot and using the power icon to power off launches that process.

If power is prematurely lost then the result can be corrupted files and/or lost data.

In Reliabiity History take a look at the details regarding the critical event(s). The details may or may not be helpful.

Another tool is Event Viewer. Not as user friendly and takes more time and effort to navigate and understand.

FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
I press the turn off button on start menu and it turns off. Then if I unplug the charger and take it somewhere, next time the startup is slower and if I look in reliability history and it says Windows didn't shutdown correctly. It's been a month now, normally it's plugged in so I can't really RMA it, I could ask it to be repaired though. Just not sure what's wrong with it and whether to worry as everything seems fine.