Windows dns server vista

kash97

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hi, I have a dell pc running windows vista which has been running fine until last week. Now can't connect to internet (through Virgin on cable).

The pc shows as connected to the internet but when you try to connect, it comes up as can't display the page. When I diagnose, it shows no connection to Primary Server.

Virgin and I have checked everything and can't find no faults, we've re-set default settings and everything but still won't work. Virgin are now saying that the Windows DNS server software is corrupt.

Does anybody know what this means and how it can be repaired? I will be so, so grateful for any help that anybody can give

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
try this, open up command promt (cmd.exe) make sure you are running it as administrator (right click and run as admin) and type this without quotes "ipconfig /flushdns" this will clear all DNS entries, then "ipconfig /release" this will dissconnect your network connection, then "ipconfig /renew" from what virgin have said they are just being unwilling in helping you and who you where talking to was some clown with a script infront of him, try the above and let us know how you get on.

kash97

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Thank you so much for your reply.

This PC is actually my Mum's and I have brought my laptop around today and plugged the modem into the laptop just to ascertain that the internet is def working - which it is.

Have tried your suggestion but when I do ipconfig/renew, it comes up with 'an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area connection: unable to contact your DHCP server, request has timed out'

Do you have any more suggestions?

Is it worth trying a system restore or does that not help an issue like this?

I have also just discovered that Mum has a Dell disc for Drivers and Utilities already loaded on to the computer. Would I find what I may need on there?

Sorry but never come across a problem like this before