Question Windows doesnt boot when secondary hard drive is in.

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I have an acer predator g3 571. It comes with an SSD(C drive. which i use for just the operating system, i got a SSHD (D) for games and such. This D drive uses the ntfs file system. Recently i had issues with my battery, so my laptop shut down a lot immediately.

Now, when i start it, windows freezes at the logo and spinny dots. The same goes for any sort of recovery disk or USB, it freezes on the exact same loading screen. I do remember when i waited on the recovery disk, i got a 'watchdog' BSOD error.

Except, when i take out this SSHD(D) drive, everything is back to normal. It was all working fine before, now inserting this hard drive just freezes everything. I'm very confused and really need this hard drive as i have tons of data on it which i play games with. Thanks.

Last edited:

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Any chance the hybrid drive perhaps already had/has an OS installed, and, perhaps the laptop is attempting to boot from that?

Jump into the BIOS and check the boot device priority when both are connected and the unit is powered on...
As far as i know there was no OS installed on it, i did see some microsoft related partition on it when looking on gparted with my usb, i removed it and this made no difference. All i did was have my windows directories made to transfer files to this drive, 'pictures, documents, etc' but that was as far as it went.

The boot device priority on UEFI says 'windows boot manager' and only (1) drive appears, that's the the smaller OS(C: one. I can't actually see a full list of anything while it's like this, apart from that 1 drive. The D drive only appears under legacy mode. and it's the second one. I'm just hoping it's something simple. Right now i plan on unlocking it with a debian usb (it has bitlocker on it) so maybe my options are opened. Thanks for replying!