[SOLVED] Windows doesn't detect headphones mic (i tried everything)

Mar 18, 2020
I have spent countless hours trying to fix this issue are at least know whats causing it, my PC has two front separate jacks for sound and mic, i use a splitter to conncet the headphones (1 cord split into 2) and whenever i do that, the system detects the headphones as (Realtek HD audio 2nd output) in the playback section of the sound control panel but it doesn't detect the mic, when i go to the recording section i find the [Mic in at front panel (pink)] and it doesn't detect any sound.
same problem goes for the rear jacks.
So the headphones mic won't work, when i plug a mic directly into the mic port it works just find.
I tried other headphones and its still the same issue.
  • things i have tried:
  • Updating, uninstalling, reinstalling audio drivers and headset drivers
  • Uninstalled audio drivers and reinstalled latest versions from Realtek website
  • Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Set Mic as default
  • Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Disabling all other devices
  • Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Mic > Properties > Listening to the device results in only static
  • Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Mic > Properties > In the levels tab, the volume is at full and un-muted
  • Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Mic > Properties > All enhancements are off
  • Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Mic > Properties > The format is set at the default (2 channel, 16-bit, 48000 Hz DVD Quality)
  • In Realtek Audio Manager: I've played with many of the settings, but I don't think any have changed anything. Attached are pictures of my settings as well.
    • In advanced settings tab: "Separate all input jacks as independent input devices"
    • Mic is plugged in as "Mic in (Mic in at rear panel (Pink))" (I have no option to retask this)
    • Headset is plugged in as "Front Speaker out (Speakers)" (I am given the options of "Headset" and "Front Speaker out" when I connect my headset, although neither option seems to make a difference)
Including other things i probably have forgotten since i've had this problem for months ever since i got my PC.

link to my headphones: https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Force-Amplified-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00KSVXSZU
link to my motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H310M-PRO-M2-PLUS.html

Solution
Look at the connector on the mic attached to the h/phones, is it a "TRRS"? (3 black bands) Your mic input may be for a "TRS" (2 black bands) looks the same as a stereo plug. The mic you tried by itself that works is a "TRS".

TRS - Tip, Ring, Sleeve
TRRS - Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve
Stereo - Ground, Left, Right

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Look at the connector on the mic attached to the h/phones, is it a "TRRS"? (3 black bands) Your mic input may be for a "TRS" (2 black bands) looks the same as a stereo plug. The mic you tried by itself that works is a "TRS".

TRS - Tip, Ring, Sleeve
TRRS - Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve
Stereo - Ground, Left, Right

Solution