Question Windows Doesn't Find Boot Device After Removing Spare Hard Drive

Sep 26, 2020
I recently removed a HDD I wasn't using from my PC. No other changes were made and I confirmed that it was empty. When restarting, I now get a "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key" message.

I've tried checking the cables, resetting BIOS, restarting, but it's still giving me the message. The drive I booted from before the change is plugged in, being detected by BIOS and is set to the boot device. Not sure what to do at this point.

Sep 26, 2020
I'm pretty sure it was. I just don't get why it would've done that when windows was installed to the SSD. I tried windows recovery media, but it couldn't fix it. I just wiped the SSD and reformatted it and I'm back up and running now. No idea what stuff I lost, but beginning the fun process of reinstalling everything now.

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure it was. I just don't get why it would've done that when windows was installed to the SSD. I tried windows recovery media, but it couldn't fix it. I just wiped the SSD and reformatted it and I'm back up and running now. No idea what stuff I lost, but beginning the fun process of reinstalling everything now.

Thank you.
Yea, I hate that it does that. Always make sure only the drive you want Windows on is installed during the Windows installation. I know there's a way to fix it afterward but it is a huge pain in the butt. I think it was just something which improved boot times a little. But that isn't necessary with an SSD.

Reactions: Alymon

ASK THE COMMUNITY