Windows doesn't load

adityagirdhar22

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I've a Core 2 Quad Q6600 running at stock frequency right now. I'd overclocked it to 2.7 ghz and it ran fine but then dunno why I overclocked it to 3.4 ghz and it instantly crashed. Somehow I managed to crank it back to 2.4 but then my Windows 10 went into an infinite loop. I'd a licensed Windows 7 Home Premium laying around and when I tried to install it first it hung at at the 'setup is starting' screen and then after like half an hour I was able to install Windows 10 without any issues. But now whenever I start my PC the windows 7 logo shows up and then the Check Disk Utility starts. If I let it go on, my PC hard shuts down when it's over. If I skip, nothing happens 'Disk checking has been skipped' seems to freezes. Is my CPU dead? I'm pretty sure the motherboard is fine. There might be some error in my RAM, the setup might not be able to load data onto it. I'm in grade 9 and my dad won't buy me new parts please help ;_;

I've a Corsair 550w PSU
8 gigs of RAM
Gigabyte G41M-Combo motherboard
And an OCZ cooler don't know the model but it keeps every pretty cool

Waiting for an angel from the sky/

adityagirdhar22

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

I did reset my cmos but nothing seemed to change. I'll now try to load ubuntu off of a usb and let you know if it works..

EDIT: After resetting even my keyboard and mouse don't seem to work :/

adityagirdhar22

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

It's a full SSD, no partitions. Do you mean formatting it?
Also I tried booting Ubuntu from a live USB but that didn't work too. In the starting when there's that CLI kinda startup it wrote for all my four cores 'CPU temperature threshold reached' but they seemed relatively cool. Did I just burn my chip? :(

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
I can't imagine you burned up your CPU by overclocking it to 3.4 because that is not anything crazy for that CPU. What voltage did you put for the overclock?

You partition parts of the hard drive off for the OS before it is installed which essentially gives the mass of unallocated space a workable file system. My guess is that the hard drive was corrupted by the multiple botched installations, which would explain why it is having trouble with checking the disk at startup. I would delete the partition, create and format a new one, and then try a fresh windows 10 install.