Windows doesn't recognize phone, how to reinstall to m.2?

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Hi,
I can't get my note 8 to connect to my pc. Other phones also don't work and I can access the phone on another laptop, just not this pc. I've already tried to reinstall drivers and multiple different cables, as well as some other suggestions I read online. I've kind of given up so I think as a last-ditch effort, I'll just reinstall windows. I currently have windows 10 pro (OEM key) on my pc and am planning on getting a m.2, can I reinstall windows on the m.2 and will this probably fix my problem? I know an OEM key isn't transferable, but for some odd reason mine still works even after I replaced the original motherboard/cpu (and just about everything else) so will I have any troubles reinstalling windows on a m.2? thanks. Obviously let me know if you have any suggestions before I waste $300 on a 960 evo! any updates on the new m.2 drives Samsung is said to release soon?

Solution
Windows 10 can be linked to an email address so if you go to settings/updates & security/activation and it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" then it is currently attached to your email address. This is how you can move it from one Motherboard to next.

If win 10 activated now, it will be reactivated once you reinstall win 10 on M.2 and have your email address attached to user.

I would be very surprised if the Note 8 problem is the m.2. Its more likely to be software instead of hardware.
Have you got latest BIOS on the motherboard? I would blame motherboard or USB before I blamed storage - though your PC is pretty new...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 can be linked to an email address so if you go to settings/updates & security/activation and it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" then it is currently attached to your email address. This is how you can move it from one Motherboard to next.

If win 10 activated now, it will be reactivated once you reinstall win 10 on M.2 and have your email address attached to user.

I would be very surprised if the Note 8 problem is the m.2. Its more likely to be software instead of hardware.
Have you got latest BIOS on the motherboard? I would blame motherboard or USB before I blamed storage - though your PC is pretty new: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
what version of win 10 is it? Current version is 1709 Build 16299.309

Did you see this? http://thecellguide.com/fix-usb-connection-issues-galaxy-note8/

Solution

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

Hi,
My windows version is the newest, 1709 16299.309 and so is the bios, 1003. I went to settings/updates and security/activation and it just says the product ID and last 5 of the key, nothing about it being linked with my account. Does this mean I'll have trouble reinstalling windows when I get the m.2? right now my 1tb SATA SSD is almost full, I think I'm going to get the new Samsung pm981 nvme SSD in 1tb, is this compatible with Samsung's migration software? I didn't see it under supported drives but it is a Samsung, and If not how important is that, is it worth switching to the 960 evo even though it's slower?
Thanks for the wisdom!

USAFRet

Titan

You have to link it yourself.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

Hi,
I don't seem to have an option 'add an account' as you can see in this screenshot. The reason I think a new drive might help is because I've never reinstalled windows on this machine and I've changed about every part in it, it went form x99a with a 1070 to lga 1151 with a 1080 ti and I've heard there can be compatibility issues. Also, what do I have to link myself?

USAFRet

Titan

You need to be logged in with an Administrator account.
You're linking the OS license to a Microsoft account.

And yes, if you've changed motherboards, you need to do a new install.
Does it currently show as Activated?

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

In the screenshot I linked it says Windows is activated. I only have one account on this PC and it, of course, has admin so I'm not sure what I'm missing not being able to see the option you linked to connect my account to my key.

USAFRet

Titan

And that is a Microsoft account you're logged in with?

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

Yes.

USAFRet

Titan
Well...just reinstalling on a new drive in the same system won't require the license key, or even having it linked to a MS account.

It should just activate itself when the system goes online after the install.
Not sure why its not letting you link it.

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
I hope my license is ok... Thanks for the suggestions, I see that the pm951 1tb drive isn't supported by samsung magician software, hopefully this isn't a big deal as I plan to get this drive.
Thanks for the help, hopefully reinstalling windows will help my phone connect to my pc.