[SOLVED] Windows doesn't see upgraded RAM

Apr 13, 2020
I have recently filled my RAM slot with a new 4GB RAM Card but Windows doesn't see it(it still reports only 1/4 slots filled and old amount of RAM). The weird part is that CPU-Z sees the new card and gives me all the info about it so I think it's not a hardware problem. I have updated my BIOS without any changes. Both cards run on same frequency. Any solutions or suggestions?

Solution
Ok think i see the problem. The laptop requires 1.35v DDR3 L ram. One stick is 1.35v and the other 1.5v in slot 1.

Cpuz will still register it's there but i believe the motherboard is restricting use of the dimm slot 1 to prevent damage to the cpu's memory controller running 1.5v ram and that's what Windows see's.
Apr 13, 2020
Yeah it's a laptop. It says 4 slots but I think it has only 2 slots physically, at least I can't find more slots inside. I had that issue on multiple laptops, the number of slots it shows is connected to something else, not physical slots on the board.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ok think i see the problem. The laptop requires 1.35v DDR3 L ram. One stick is 1.35v and the other 1.5v in slot 1.

Cpuz will still register it's there but i believe the motherboard is restricting use of the dimm slot 1 to prevent damage to the cpu's memory controller running 1.5v ram and that's what Windows see's.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 13, 2020

I see. I noticed the difference too but didn't know if that's the problem. I'll try to get DDD3L RAM and so if it works.