[SOLVED] Windows doesn't start up, black screen

Oct 27, 2020
Hi, I have a problem with getting windows to start up.

Around month ago I had similar problem. In the beginning on start up BSOD showed saying something about faulty hardware. After some retrys I got stuck on "automatic repair" loop. So I reinstalled Windows using bootable USB. For some weeks everything was ok but one day BSOD showed up again (saying something about faulty hardware). Only difference now is when I start up PC, it gets to loading screen part, after some time restarts and "preparing automatic repair" screen shows up after which screen gets black (but doesn't turns off).
When I try using the same bootable USB, I get to the loading screen after which (or during it) screen gets black and nothing happens...
Does anyone have idea how to repair this problem? Or how to determine which PC component is dead? ☹️

Solution
For a simple functional test,
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Laptops will usually have a mechanism to restore the unit to factory specs.
If you did not fully wipe the HDD in your attempt to reinstall windows. you might be able to recover.

Regardless, if memtest shows up ok, I suggest you replace the HDD with a ssd of suitable size.
You will be amazed at how much difference a ssd makes in a laptop.
A 1tb samsung 860 evo is about $120.
PC: ASUS N56JR
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M (2GB GDDR5) + integrated gpu
HDD: 2.5" 9.5mm SATA3, 1TB HDD 5400 RPM
RAM: DDR3L MHz SDRAM, 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 GB SDRAM (I have 8GB)
I suspect your problem may be a failing hard drive. Try booting your PC with the 1TB HDD disconnected to see if you can get into the BIOS.

Reactions: Admix18
Run memtest86.

If you did not fully wipe the HDD in your attempt to reinstall windows. you might be able to recover.

Regardless, if memtest shows up ok, I suggest you replace the HDD with a ssd of suitable size.

Reactions: Admix18
Solution
Oct 27, 2020
Run memtest86.

Will try memtest86, hopefully tomorrow, because I don't have another PC at home. And will consider buying ssd, thanks for advice ;) Definitely will buy external HDD, just to store important files :D

Oct 27, 2020
Run memtest86.

Done test with memtest86, showed 0 errors 🤔

Oct 27, 2020
Turns out my HDD is broken. Came to this conclusion by changing my HDD to HDD of PC which already had windows installed on, and with other HDD PC turned on perfectly fine... Now I have to find a method to recover files from broken HDD, if it is even possible