When I turn on my computer there is a message telling:
"Boot from CD:
Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

When I bought my computer I've only got the Restore CD, and I didn't get any
system disk.
Can anybody tell me what disk is talking about and how can I get it?
Or something else I should do when I get that message?
Thanks.
Mariano.

The "Disk boot failure" refers to your Hard disk, which may have failed, or
lost its boot information.
You should be able to boot from the restore disk-look in your manual to see
the procedure.
If that doesn't work you may need to replace the hard disk.

"Mariano" wrote:

> When I turn on my computer there is a message telling:
> "Boot from CD:
> Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"
>
> When I bought my computer I've only got the Restore CD, and I didn't get any
> system disk.
> Can anybody tell me what disk is talking about and how can I get it?
> Or something else I should do when I get that message?
> Thanks.
> Mariano.

Hi Mariano,

As Hugh has stated, it may be a failed hard drive. Download a drive
diagnostics tool from the manufacturer, use it to assess the state of the
system hard drive. If it's failed, it's time for a replacement, and you will
need to use that recovery CD in the process. If it's still under warranty,
now is the time to invoke it.

If it passes, then you may simply have a corrupted boot file problem. If
this is the case, you can load the Recovery Console and run fixboot from the
command prompt. As your Recovery CD will likely not do this (you need a
regular system disk), you can do it by creating the 6 disk boot floppy set.
Download the file needed from one of these links, then run (double-click) it
to create the disks:

Home edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33290

Professional edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33291

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mariano" <Mariano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I turn on my computer there is a message telling:
> "Boot from CD:
> Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"
>
> When I bought my computer I've only got the Restore CD, and I didn't get
> any
> system disk.
> Can anybody tell me what disk is talking about and how can I get it?
> Or something else I should do when I get that message?
> Thanks.
> Mariano.

Did you accidentally leave a non bootable floppy in the drive?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Mariano" <Mariano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I turn on my computer there is a message telling:
> "Boot from CD:
> Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"
>
> When I bought my computer I've only got the Restore CD, and I didn't get
> any
> system disk.
> Can anybody tell me what disk is talking about and how can I get it?
> Or something else I should do when I get that message?
> Thanks.
> Mariano.

Thanks Rick.

I created the 6 disk boot floppy set and run the "Windows set up" in my
computer. But when I choose to set up Windows it ask me for the "Windows XP
Home Edition CD-Rom" Do you know how I can get that CD???
Thanks a lot.
Mariano.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Mariano,
>
> As Hugh has stated, it may be a failed hard drive. Download a drive
> diagnostics tool from the manufacturer, use it to assess the state of the
> system hard drive. If it's failed, it's time for a replacement, and you will
> need to use that recovery CD in the process. If it's still under warranty,
> now is the time to invoke it.
>
> If it passes, then you may simply have a corrupted boot file problem. If
> this is the case, you can load the Recovery Console and run fixboot from the
> command prompt. As your Recovery CD will likely not do this (you need a
> regular system disk), you can do it by creating the 6 disk boot floppy set.
> Download the file needed from one of these links, then run (double-click) it
> to create the disks:
>
> Home edition:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33290
>
> Professional edition:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33291
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Mariano" <Mariano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I turn on my computer there is a message telling:
> > "Boot from CD:
> > Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"
> >
> > When I bought my computer I've only got the Restore CD, and I didn't get
> > any
> > system disk.
> > Can anybody tell me what disk is talking about and how can I get it?
> > Or something else I should do when I get that message?
> > Thanks.
> > Mariano.

Hi,

You may have to redirect to the I386 folder on your system, usually
C:\Windows\I386. What you should be doing is accessing the command prompt
from the boot floppy set and running "fixboot" from there.