Windows Domains/Workgroups

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
Hey all

Is it possible to set up a domain and a workgroup that may be selected between on windows 2000 and xp.

Tx

"" Society is to blame ""

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
uhh, what?
you want to switch between a workgroup and a domain? never done it before, but theres got to be an easy way. i remember a setting called alternative network settings, but i think that was just for ip settings. i dont really know for sure, sorry.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
Ok, to go into detail, the issue is this;

I have a laptop that is used for work. It is set up on a Windows 2000 domain (obviously so I just plug it in at the office).

Now I live with a couple of people, and we have desktops and other lappys setup on a windows xp pro workgroup at home.

The problem is that the windows xp workgroup cant find the windows 2000 domain lappy (yet the lappy can see the workgroup) and obviously if i go through the process of changing the lappy over to the workgroup, i then have to change it back to the domain for work.

This isn't particularly difficult to do, i just thought that there must be and easier and quicker way to achive this.

Tx for the replys

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
if all you want to do is access a shared resource on the "lappy" just use the IP address. like so:

net use * \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\share_name

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
Tx Jlanka, I'll give it a go and see how it works.

Would be nice if windows just had a "Select network" button though.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
also, you might have to add the /user:username password qualifier to the command I mentioned.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
OK, i was just about to see how things work with da suggestions, but when i checked the network computers on the xp machines there is the laptop and its accessible, and it is still in the windows domain and not the xp workgroup.

Its a tad confusing but /shrug its working.

tx anyway

TRENDING THREADS