[SOLVED] Windows Driver Update vs Intel / NVIDIA update

TiCoyote

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
When I run into issues with my PC, I often see the suggestion "update the drivers" as a possible solution. The most common driver seems to be NVIDIA.

Is it better to update NVIDIA drivers with the GE Force Experience software, or is it better to let Windows handle the updates? Sometimes, it seems that Windows thinks it has the most updated driver, but there is a newer driver available from the NVIDIA website.

Similarly, is it better to use Intel Driver & Support Assistance to update my CPU driver, or should I let Windows Update handle that?

I have a Lenovo Laptop that had Support Assistance pre-installed, and it also has Lenovo proprietary update software. I keep getting messages from S.A. about an update, but when I try to run it, I get a warning that it might conflict with the Lenovo software, or specifically, that the Lenovo software may have already chosen a better driver.

I also have a new desktop self-build. It has an 12th gen i7 CPU and a 1050Ti GPU. Since that one is a self-build, and it's new, I'm not sure whether I have the newest/best drivers, and I want to know the best way to get them. Thank you!

Solution
I also have a new desktop self-build. It has an 12th gen i7 CPU and a 1050Ti GPU. Since that one is a self-build, and it's new, I'm not sure whether I have the newest/best drivers, and I want to know the best way to get them. Thank you!
Windows drivers are generally older but also they are stable drivers that don't get messed with.
With a card like yours that is old (I have the same one) windows drivers are ok nvidia only updates drivers to add features for new gpus, if there is a driver that will affect all cards it will become a windows driver, it's a hassle for nvidia to do that which is why they only do it for important updates.

The advice to update drivers comes from new drivers basically always being beta drivers...

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to manually source your drivers from relevant device manufacturer's support site, then install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Windows updates tend to ruin the OS/drivers and make you scratch your head when things look off.

You're advised to use DDU to clean your platform of any prior drivers and the existing drivers, then manually reinstall the GPU's drivers. For your laptop, use the serial number on Lenovo's support page and then manually source drivers, BIOS updates then install them manually afterwards.

Please be sure to have a backup of your critical contents in case the OS goes sideways after the update.

When I run into issues with my PC, I often see the suggestion "update the drivers" as a possible solution. The most common driver seems to be NVIDIA.
A question I have to ask is if the problem is related to graphics. Lots of people suggest blanket things because by some fluke, one of them worked or some other action they did as part of the process worked.

As for who to get the drivers from, I tend to lean on getting it from the manufacturer of the final product, so in your case, Lenovo. This is mostly because if it's on their website, I'm assuming they've at least tested and validated it because if they're willing to put it up on their site, they're willing to provide support. Graphics I generally give an exception to because of how frequently they get updated.

Also you generally don't need to use DDU to update the graphics driver unless you still have a problem related to it.

Windows drivers are generally older but also they are stable drivers that don't get messed with.
With a card like yours that is old (I have the same one) windows drivers are ok nvidia only updates drivers to add features for new gpus, if there is a driver that will affect all cards it will become a windows driver, it's a hassle for nvidia to do that which is why they only do it for important updates.

The advice to update drivers comes from new drivers basically always being beta drivers, they fix one thing and break something else, so the hope is that the new driver fixed something that was broken that affected your card.

Solution