Windows embedded 8.1 industry pro vs Windows 8

gamerzr

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Hi everyone,

So I just found out that I am able to obtain a copy of windows embedded 8.1 industry pro through my school. I found that this is perfect timing because I'm about to build my first computer! Anyways someone told me that Windows embedded versions would not work on desktops, but on microsoft's website it says that it includes more features. So my question is will i be able to game and run normal applications on windows embedded 8.1 industry pro? Thanks for all the Help!

P.S Thanks for looking, If you didn't know already Fry's is selling an I7 3770k for $220. I saw this and knew it was a great deal even though it is overkill for gaming. Just wanted to give back to this great community!

Solution
So my question is will i be able to game and run normal applications on windows embedded 8.1 industry pro?

No matter how cheap it is...it is not meant for your purposes.
It might boot and run on a desktop. But all the other subsystems - DirectX specifically? Doubtful.

This is like asking - "I can get Server 2012 cheap from school. Is it good for gaming?"
Yeah, maybe you can make it work. Mostly. But Win8 Embedded is ever farther out on the edge.
It is not meant for general desktop use. And really not meant for games.

USAFRet

Titan
So my question is will i be able to game and run normal applications on windows embedded 8.1 industry pro?

No matter how cheap it is...it is not meant for your purposes.
It might boot and run on a desktop. But all the other subsystems - DirectX specifically? Doubtful.

This is like asking - "I can get Server 2012 cheap from school. Is it good for gaming?"
Yeah, maybe you can make it work. Mostly. But Win8 Embedded is ever farther out on the edge.
It is not meant for general desktop use. And really not meant for games.

Solution

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

Windows Embedded Industry Pro 8.1 is EXACTLY the same as retail and VL the only difference is that it has Thin Client programs and apps pre-installed. I am running it on 6 computers right now and all Windows 8.1 drivers and programs work with not even 1 problem. The old Windows 7 Thin Client was restricted but Embedded Industry is completely open the only difference is that like Enterprise you can't install WMC. It works great as a desktop OS and getting it for free is awesome (I got it through school as well). Just an FYI but Server 2012 R2 works great as a desktop OS once you disable some of the server restrictions (limits internet access unless turned off) and that is free through DreamSpark program as well.

Reactions: Retapich

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, I've used various levels of Server (2003, 2008, 2012) as desktop environments. Works great.

theHexCore

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I googled "Can Windows Embedded Industry Pro play games?" and stumbled upon this thread... I'm downloading Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro and Windows Server 2012 at this very moment, and I'm going to install both of them onto a new gaming rig I bought a couple months ago and see how it works. Thanks Camicaze for the info.

David Nation

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

David Nation

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Yes..you can do anything with windows 8.1 embedded that you can do with windows 8.1 Pro..the best part about the embedded version is that it doesn't have all the metro apps...you can get them if you like but the only apps that come with the embedded version is the store app and the skype app

Peter Bladt

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
First of all: Windows Embedded 8.1 industry Pro is not sold to be used as the OS for a general purpose device. So not for your office or home pc, tablet ... All the windows embedded product should be used for single purpose devices, e.g. an ATM, digital signage, thin client, controller of a machine ... That the legal licensing stuff.

Now the technical part:
Windows embedded 8.1 industry pro is Windows 8.1 Pro. With additional stuff from the embedded channel. Filters for instance (like USB filter, which, not only, allows you to enable/disable USB ports, it also allows you to define which USB ports can accept which ind of device (e.g. only keyboard/mouse, not USB sticks). Write filters (to protect partitions/files/registry keys to be written).

There's another embedded windows 8 as well: windows embedded 8 standard. Basicly: the desktop OS, chopped into pieces, with the lockdown features (the filters) added, and using a wizard or configuration editor you select what will go into your OS. Same rule: single purpose only.

The app store for the embedded versions is different from the regular store. You'll will miss apps from one store in the other.

you can find lots of info on the embedded OS on http://www.windowsembedded.com

themodder666

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Close your parentheses, man!
This explains how I feel about unresolved parentheses very well:http://xkcd.com/859/

tstrelka

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

Here's the description and requirements from Dreamspark:
Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro extends Windows 8.1 to a range of industry device across retail, manufacturing, healthcare and any other industries in which powerful line-of-business applications and the ability to perform a specialized function in a secure and reliable is paramount. Businesses will benefit from the latest Windows 8.1 innovations on industry devices built on Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro; for example, enhanced security, deeper lock-down control, expanded peripheral capabilities, better manageability, updated user experience, and improved connectivity & mobility.

System Requirements
• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
• RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
• Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
• Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

It would work fine with the latest graphics cars and it has the same system requirements as retail Windows 8.1 so i wouldn't worry about functionality. I'm not too sure about adding Windows Media Center and DVD encoder though. I'd be willing to try it out though. The difference with embedded is that it can be installed on machines like retail cash registers and it can be configured to be restricted so someone can't use it as a regular computer when it is installed on function specific hardware like a point of sale terminal for example. The user would typically never know the operating system running in the background. But out of box it is full functioning like your regular desktop OS.

Darshan D Gowda

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Hi all, i was trying to install the Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro with Update (x64) - DVD (English) from an USB (4GB). I have used the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to copy the ISO to USB as a Bootable. When i plug the USB and powered up my Laptop (Lenovo B560 6GB RAM) as soon the booting starts and Windows logo appears and will restart the system immediately. This as repeatedly at every time I try to install.

Please can any one help me out with this issue.

XtremeCookiez

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
About the legality of using windows embedded on your desktop I think it's legal. I am assuming that "through your school" you meant through dreamspark. And the purpose of Dreamspark is to allow students to experiment with Microsoft software (it says something similar on the Dreamspark website). In my opinion using the software daily, especially if it is your primary machine, is the best way to experiment with it. So if Microsoft lawyers come pounding on your door threatning to sue you for violating Dreamspark/Windows embedded Terms of Use; simply tell them you were experimenting with it, and testing out a way to create a demo game playing pc as they do in gamestop.

Alternatively you could say you are creating a business and this is going to be a business PC (on the windows embedded website a suggested use is a company tablet, so I assume a PC would fall under this category as well). However, this would violate Dreamspark's noncommercial use clause. But the argument would be valid if you actually purchased windows embedded.

Mcloganator

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I've been using 8.1 Embedded on my rig for about a year now. I can assure you it works on any normal computer just fine. I can play all of my steam games on mine, have access to the full Windows App Store, can use Metro Apps, etc.

Petrake

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Two things to try: 1.) - use a 8gb memostick for bootmedia; and 2.) - check BIOS for UEFI settings, it may be set for older/legacy IDE type OS'es.
P.
=================================================================================================

Richard Thomas

Reputable
May 10, 2014

This is incorrect. I've been running Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro since release through Dreamspark and I have all the functionality of Windows 8.1 Pro with extra developer features (which I haven't bothered to use). It's perfectly fine for gaming and all of my university programs work fine (Autodesk suite, ZBrush, Unreal Engine 4, Houdini, Nuke, Adobe CC, etc).

"gain access to additional enterprise-specific features not available through OEMs. These enterprise features, which include DirectAccess, BrancheCache, Enterprise Sideloading, and AppLocker, empower enterprises to gain greater manageability and control over their devices and enable new scenarios." [source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-gb/windows-embedded-8-industry.aspx]

"In addition to the full capabilities of Windows 8.1, Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry offers the flexibility and enhanced lockdown capabilities needed to power industry devices." [source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-gb/windows-embedded-8-industry.aspx]

alex2000robert

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I'm using Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro as well and I can perfectly use it for gaming purposes (I can play, for example, Battlefield 3 or Watch Dogs without any problems). Windows 8.1 Pro < Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro, because it includes Thin Client apps. I saw around there a post saying that there won't be some apps in Windows 8.1 Embedded app store. It's not true. It actually has got all the apps (Fifa 15, for example, why on Earth would you put it in a "separate" app store?)

ankitgiri

Reputable
May 16, 2015

Hi,my friend about an year ago the same question was in my and after using Windows embedded 8.1 on my desktop I found it useful and no difference in these two products(embedded and desktop OS) from users point of view. Enjoy free software's of dreamspark.

firstpants

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015

This is an assumption that USAFRet made. I am running the exact version you are asking about, and it is a fully baked version of windows. It has all the same features you would expect from Windows 8 Pro. It has Direct X. It runs Battlefield 4, GTA V, Far Cry 4, etc. Microsoft likes to name Windows a lot of different things, but there aren't huge differences other than price. They should just make 2 versions. Server and User editions.

MenialSix88

Honorable
Nov 13, 2014
Windows 8 Embedded Pro is same as desktop OS with few exceptions.

1. You can't use Bitlocker normally (don't remember the actual term for it) so you have to remove some restrictions which is done easilly and you find guides for that from google.

2. Windows 8 Embedded Pro is NOT valid for free Windows 10 upgrade (at least not untill there's Windows 10 Embedded Pro available on Dreamspark).

3. You can't connect to School or Enterprise network via active directory but you can join your school or Enterprise domain or Workgroup.

4. Your license is valid untill it expires which means you have to buy Windows Vista / 7 / 8.1 / 10 Home, Pro or Ultimate license or use valid Windows Home / Pro / Ultimate License. (Windows Student license is Valid even after you finish studies, though you can't move the license to another computer)

5. Some software like Office, developer, programming, Adobe photoshop etc. might require you to use educational / non-profit enterprice license, so keep that in mind when you are installing software which has seperate licensing for home, student / school and enterprise users.

6. You can install additional tools.

Basically plain dumb person understandment Windows 8 Embedded is OS which is licensed for Developers, students, organisations and governement sectors for people who are Working or studying and need specific software for specific purposes and only strict limitation is that you are not allowed to use the OS for market where you make money like rent server services.

You can play games and such, but you might run into issues if you have purchased for example Virus protection license for Home use or you actually might have to buy a Home license if you want to use other protection software than Windows Defender and you might have to buy a student license for Photoshop and so on.

Restrictions which you might notice is that you would have to buy a different license for certain software and upgrade to consumer version of Windows after you finish your studies or license expires.

Embedded really is more restricted if you are working for some company which is a member of Dreampark